Brave the elements with the Bomber Barrel Duffel Bag - The most funded bag in Kickstarter history

I’ve got a Dana Design “Bomb Pack” That I’ve used for carry on in the past. I’ve received less scrutiny with it than when I travel with multiple laptops.

3 Likes

just get a goruck. Made in the USA and mine have been indestructable after years of trips.

I will give you a second thumbs up on the MEC duffels. Can’t go wrong with them, at least the iteration I purchased back in 2006 or so.

This is why a precondition for me to buy a bag is the use of YKK zippers. If they feature YKK plastic clips & other hardware thats even more of a plus!

These bags look like crap anyway.

I have one or two cheap duffles for basically that reason. When I travel I put them in my main bag as “insurance overflow bags” in case I end up with more to bring home than available space.

Classic SEP design.

1 Like

Holy crap! I would hope so, for $300. That’s the priciest little rucksack I think I’ve seen so far. But it looks like they’re military-grade, so they must be worth it.

My go-to rucksack/backpack/daybag is a deeply unsexy bag from eBags (with a super ugly ‘eBags’ label on it) but it’s easily and surprisingly the best bag I’ve ever owned. Nine years of heavy use and not a stitch is out of place.

I’d think for a good duffel bag the best place to go would be the army-navy store?

1 Like

It is where I got mine, along with a sleeping bag. They have a lot of pretty nifty stuff there.

1 Like

Not only nifty, but well made and durable. Though the army-navy store is far more expensive than it used to be. When I got my first pair of boots there, I remember them being way south of $50… maybe closer to $20 or so (this was a couple of decades ago, so forgive me if I can’t remember)… Now, replacing my current pair is going to cost over $100. No need to buy jackets, as I inherited several of my dad’s. And in the old school camo pattern instead of the new one they have. I did recently drop the cash for a pea coat, which I expect to last for the rest of my life! :wink:

5 Likes

I’m partial to my bridge coat. Same heavy wool as a peacoat, but longer.Unfortunately it seems to have suffered “closet shrinkage,” and is pretty tight on me now.

1 Like

I looked at the bridge coats they had, but the pea coat just looked better on me. I can’t pull off long things, as I’m so short! But both are excellent coats, even if I never have much call for such things down here.

Judging from the reviews, I guess this time I get to be happy they won’t ship this item to Canada!

1 Like

The North Face duffels are built pretty well, but weigh more than tanks.

But lets be clear: the shape of the duffel bag is designed to minimize material cost, not make for a user friendly experience. More rectangular shapes don’t roll around and rectangular openings are much easier than slit shaped openings to access.

The problem with all these bags is you can’t really tell how much you can get inside them until you try packing them up. I wish there were a subscription service for bags so I could try out a different bag on each trip until I found just the right one. Now that webvan like services are taking off can’t someone get on this?

That’s my favorite empty phrase! Several companies ago I one asked the admin lady to get “military grade ballpoint printer paper” next time…

On a more serious note, I do like bags made of Cordura nylon.

Good luck with that. “Old style” woodlands/multicam is now collectible so expect to pay unless you find replica stuff.

I’m so short

Back when army navy stores had Vietnam surplus it was much easier to find things that fit me. Nowadays everything is way too big!

You want collectible camo?
Try looking for desert night camo. Stuff is pretty cool looking, but really hard to find.

Which version? IIRC there is a UK one and maybe several US ones depending on which branch of the services. Think how US Army desert is different from MARPAT-D. Not sure if there is a USN one also.

Anyway got slink to a example?

US, first Iraqi war era.

1 Like

Doesnt seem to be that rare. However the wikipedia article though brief, was interesting.

If not rare, then far, far less common than woodland.
Very pretty stuff in person. Terrible for actual camouflage purposes.

1 Like