Breitbart editor's unusual citation of Ringo Starr's "You're Sixteen..." in Roy Moore discussion

Flames

13 Likes

She was just 17, you know what I mean

4 Likes

According to his WP page, he only has one child, a daughter.

Parentage is not determinism, no matter how much these eugenics loving deplorables wish it were.

6 Likes

What parent hasn’t been kept awake at night worried that their son may one day have his name dragged through the mud just because of some thoroughly researched claims by the Washington Post supported by dozens of on-the-record witnesses attesting to a decades-long pattern of predatory behavior?

37 Likes
4 Likes

And who can forget the immortal “…You’re Fourteen, You’re Vulnerable, and I’m Swine”?

39 Likes

This song’s a bit different as it was written when the Beatles were in their early 20s. I’m not an expert, but I don’t think it was atypical for a 23 year old to see a 17 year old at the time. (If I’m wrong please let me know.) Furthermore it’s unfortunate that, ‘i saw her standing there’ might be the least creepy songs about a teenage girl from the 60s.

Ringo’s cover of ‘16’ came about a decade later which would put him in his early 30s. This simply is a bit icky. I recall seeing him play it in the late 90s which put him even farther from the age.

By no means am I trying to let the Beatles off, in truth I don’t know enough about them to say.

4 Likes

OK - well first off - gotta point out Carrie Fisher as in Ringo’s Video. How cool is that?

2nd, that was a pop remake of an old rockabilly song. Which, you know, was marketed towards teenagers of the era. Thus the context of the song (in my view) is high schooler singing a love song to another high schooler. I think in a lot of cases where songs feature young people, it is in the context it is about two young people.

Now, I don’t know what lurks in the heart of Ringo Starr, but let’s not confuse poetry and art with real life. This could be as simple as his love for a classic rock song and redoing it. At any rate, it isn’t literally condoning 30 year olds preying on teens.

And there are many songs about this sort of thing… some of them sort of lovely and innocent, and some of them sorta creepy when you think about it.

(Odd aside, my ex-wife dated a much older man when she was like 17-18, and her parents were cool with it. But he was less of a predator, and more pathetic from the sound of it. I dunno, who am I to judge.)

9 Likes

It’s astounding this is where we are in political discourse in the 21st century.
We’re never going have that moon colony at this rate. :cry:

11 Likes

The Stray Cats drew the line.

2 Likes

Pollak shot back at Cuomo, saying, “You’re also a parent, and you know that when you raise sons, the risk that our sons face today is that they’re going to be exposed to accusations that may or may not be true.”

Notwithstanding the stupidity of that claim (the risk of exposure to untrue accusations isn’t verifiable, but my guess is that it’s very small compared to the gravity of injury suffered by minors who are preyed on), Roy Moore has given a somewhat qualified answer to the question of whether he dated teenage girls. He also admitted pursuing, possibly dating, a 17-year-old while he was in his 30’s.

The correct answer to “Did you date teenagers when you were in your 30’s?” is “No,” not “It would’ve been out of my customary behavior.”

10 Likes

The age in this is slightly worse…

2 Likes

Especially not if you subsequently qualify even that by conceding that your customary behavior was in fact to date teenagers.

5 Likes

Ringo’s “You’re Sixteen” is a cover of a song by Johnny Burnette that was first released in 1960, when Ringo was 20. Nostalgia for pre-Beatles rock & roll was big in the early 70s (American Graffiti, Happy Days, Sha Na Na, etc), so Ringo was cashing in on a trend. There probably isn’t more to it than that.

10 Likes

I would like to submit the Grateful Dead’s Mexicali Blues

And it’s three days ride from Bakersfield and I don’t know why I came
I guess I came to keep from payin’ dues
So instead I’ve got a bottle and a girl who’s just fourteen
And a damn good case of the Mexicali Blues Yeh

5 Likes

The sexism is so deep with some people. I hope (for her sake) that he’s never put in the position of having to doubt the word of his own daughter because of his beliefs about women.

12 Likes

I thought it was supposed to be, “It never happened, but if it did it wasn’t wrong” not “It wasn’t wrong but it never happened.” This guy has got his ordering mixed up.

7 Likes

I seriously worry about the children (boys and girls, but especially girls) of people like this. Not because I’m worried about their genes, but because they’re the most vulnerable to becoming victims of their parents twisted beliefs. Like the song says, hell is for children.

12 Likes

Saw him dancin’ there by the record machine.

9 Likes

Sounds like a good deal. I know I’d rather be exposed to accusations than be sexually assaulted in a nation where you can still be president after being believably accused and bragging about it on tape.

11 Likes