Breitbart editor's unusual citation of Ringo Starr's "You're Sixteen..." in Roy Moore discussion

I had to unlike that comment just so I could like it again.

6 Likes

Do you think he ever watched “Animal House?”

2 Likes

Who can forget those immortal words:

You’re my baby, you’re my pet
We fell in love on the night we met
You touched my hand, my heart went pop
Ooh, when we kissed you could not stop me because I was the District Attorney

25 Likes

Does this mean that Jerry Lee Lewis is forgiven?

“You sister can’t twist, but she can rock & roll…
She’s only sixteen, but it’s plain to see
She can pull the wool over li’l ol’ me…”

But, of course, Roy Moore comes from a more traditional sort of background, and he probably never listened to The Devil’s Music anyway. In fact, I think I’ve found his theme song (not 'shopped—I have this sheet music):

ps: “The Beatles made me do it” didn’t work for Manson either.

14 Likes

Well yeah, but you have to remember to convert the age to (stray) cat-years.

5 Likes

It wasn’t satire, it was prescience.

2 Likes

I expect the GOP’s next step is to try and push through legislation that pronounces 10 years old as the age of consent and make it retroactive to 50 years. That should cover them.

5 Likes

Woo! “Mendacious!” You should toss in a “moral turpitude” this, and a “concupiscent hypocrisy” that for good measure! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The same parents that are kept awake at night worried about their daughters. You know, so they can victim blame and otherwise minimize their trauma.

4 Likes

While the question comparing Ringo Star to Roy Moore is ridiculous, this thread (or any examination of any form of pop culture) does a bang up job of demonstrating the cognitive dissonance between what we say about protecting teen girls and the fact that they are so often sexualized and fetishized in pop culture.

Roy Moore is a predator, plain and simple.

Attempting to excuse his actions by pointing at iffy song lyrics is daft, but so is pretending that American Culture is unambiguous and hostile to him and his ilk.

21 Likes

Agreed!

I was going to post something to the same effect, but you’ve already said it more succinctly than I would have.

Of course, this contextual nuance is completely a moot point when the topic of the this thread is that some knob of a Breitbart editor is trying to excuse actual child predatation by referencing popular songs.

7 Likes

I liked that. queue

• bullshit argument about a 1970s song, building up the world’s weakest strawman *
  • Boom, rigorous smackdown, 'Joel, you can’t, just can’t, be bloody serious *
  • Face says; recalculating, recalculating, must find just anything, anybody else to butwhatabout *
  • Ah, found it: ‘Yeah, yeah, well sometimes rapa allegations are false you know.’ *
4 Likes

She was only sixteen, only sixteen
But I loved her so
But she was too young to fall in love
And I was too young to know

So why did I give my heart so fast
It never will happen again
But I was a mere lad of sixteen
I’ve aged a year since then

9 Likes

Next: Brietbart cites “Every Breath You Take” by the Police as evidence that stalking your ex is not only normal, it’s actively encouraged by law enforcement.

17 Likes

It was the era of the dirty old man song. Such was the pop music of my childhood.

1 Like

11th-doc-this

20 Likes

Sexually assaulting a minor is not an achievement.

2 Likes

Not at all creepy.

2 Likes

Or

It is the closing verse that does it…

“Kisses for me
Save all your kisses for me
Bye bye baby bye bye
Don’t cry honey don’t cry
Won’t You save them for me
Even though you’re only three…”

1 Like