Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

But I heard bent bananas and no more dozens of eggs? You mean that the Mail might have been misrepresenting the truth?

“The Daily Mail : Like the Weekly World News, but with less Bat Boy and more pro-fascism.”

6 Likes

it can be observed in my country, too, that racist attitudes in a region have a strong inverse correlation with the actual number of immigrants living there.

nonetheless, fear of immigration with old people in rural areas seems pretty clearly to have dominated this voted over the concerns of the younger generations for their economic and cultural future.

6 Likes

The Upside: British beer is served as a proper pint with no pesky milliliters measurements

The Risks: British recession, EU infighting, EU dissolves, economic and political chaos, banks collapse, global recession, wars on the continent

Cheers!

16 Likes

So say the homeopaths. Not so much in real life.

13 Likes

Could have to do with familiarity breeding acceptance. If you live right next to an “Other” you’re more likely to strike up a friendship than someone whose notions about them come largely from xenophobic tabloid propaganda.

(Anecdotally, some older people’s traditional or religious homophobia is defused after a family member comes out. Some disown them, but overall they’re more likely to support equal rights than people who think they don’t have any queer friends or family.)

10 Likes

Hurrah ! Next logical step :

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0c/12/3c/0c123ca1332787cc956fc8ad5e119b6a.jpg

Long live the 51st !

10 Likes

Some European friends of mine were “out” since the start - deeming that the potential new waves of immigrants to the UK were less salubrious than they were in their time. Duh.

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting all morning for the Brexiteers to pull that one out of the pocket. It’s not there!

3 Likes
1 Like

You’re a EU citizen for now - as a EU citizen you can claim the german equivalent to “jobseekers allowance” in Germany (your gf as a polish citizen too). Not exactly something you’d want to stay on … but it’s enough to bridge the time until you’ve settled. If you want to know more send me a message.

1. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
7 Likes

There, there. Nobody is alone. Britain has great friends that have already expressed their support:

15 Likes

I wish Canada all the best. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Don’t come here, if for no other reason that Brexit somehow took out the value of the AUD as well.

EDIT: Not to mention that Aus has many of the same “no immgration at all costs!” attitudes…

5 Likes

I think the EU will be fine, one way or another; it’s not as if they’re so brittle they cannot reorganize themselves…the UK, much less so.

And what about all those smart people who still want to be EU citizens?
Are they just left out in the cold now?

Is this realistic though? Wanting to remain in the EU is not the same thing as wanting to leave the UK. The independence referendum was just two years ago and decidedly for staying.

Xenophobia, suspicion, prejudice & similar paranoias don’t thrive as well when your kids go to school with the others, and you have regular, human interactions with them as workmates, customers, or even employers.

Not that stereotypes and prejudices are automatically dissolved by this alone - there is also a saturation point where over-populous insular subcultures and sub-communities of ‘outsiders’ create and earn their own arguably negative reputation.

But I think there is a large sweet spot between fear-of-the-unknown and fear-of-dispossession, where genuine integration and acceptance can occur, over time.

10 Likes

Options are narrowing.

I can grandparent myself an Irish passport (EU Irish that is!) but not my kids. Balls.

Clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

Your area’s Polish population (unless they have taken British citizenship) wouldn’t have been able to vote. As far as I know, while Britain’s pre-EU Polish community descended from WW2 refugees (and Polish military personnel who fought for the Allies and didn’t go back after the Communists took over) are mostly British citizens, Poles who came after Poland joined the EU mostly aren’t.

If Scotland has another referendum to leave the UK, I would completely understand. Nomreason why they should be dragged away from Europe by England.

England would end up surrounded by the EU. Could this lead to armed conflict over natural resources?

1 Like

But there will be massive savings, right?

27 Likes