Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

yes but. As soon as the arcane ritual is invoked it’s exactly two years. But the British government can try to keep silent (though there are considerations in the EU apparatus if it’s possible to force the UK to use article 50, an even more elongated process would be toxic for the EU)

Sinn Féin are calling for a referendum. If Scotland leaves, then Northern Ireland’s closest cultural neighbour would be out of GB, and the logic would be strong - though Sinn Féin might not like the united kingdom of Scotland and Northern Ireland, which is one possible outcome.

So is the Conservative leader in Scotland. I do wonder if she’ll throw the English Conservative Party under the bus to rebuild conservatives in Scotland, especially as politically the “new” Scottish Conservative Party is more centrist than the Little England one we’re about to have to live with.

5 Likes

I’m hoping that the SNP have the spare cash to stand for every seat in the UK; I’m running out of parties I can vote for.

5 Likes

Yep - the UK is isolated and alone now.

Well fucking done, idiots.

It’s funny how international trade and money flows work. It goes a little like this:

At 11am this morning, I bought an americano at a Starbucks in London - my local high street. The place, incidentally, was quiet as a church - London is more than sombre today. The Slovakian guy who charged me made clear that Brits won’t work for £8.50 an hour - but he will. The Albanian barista who actually made the coffee just shook his head.

They were united on this: if pin-headed, closed-minded, weak negotiating Britain wants to have its little country - then keep it.

This is no day to be proud to be British. This really does feel like the final chapter of an empire. I’m outta here.

22 Likes

A buddy (from here in Texas) is convinced that they chose rightly, because of all those darned regulations and red tape getting in the way.

Citing the Mail’s favorite EU REGULATIONS GONE MAD stories, natch.

6 Likes

“…And it’s whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then The Donald will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter…”

2 Likes

It’s wonderful. Chinese consumers have been buying up European produce - like powdered baby milk - and various tariffs etc have been charged. Now the UK will have to pay the very same tariffs - if not more - because China will be the obvious export market.

Even though we live next door.

This is insanity. It’s as if a nuke has been dropped on a European city.

5 Likes

I have a limited company. I’ve never encountered any red tape. Pathetic little Englander tripe, all of it.

10 Likes

I didn’t. I don’t like to be divisive, but “they” did. The uneducated and the poor were taken in by a collection of Etonians who wouldn’t give them the time of day, and it is them who will suffer. And me who gets to experience the Schadenfreude. I’m paying enough for the privilege.

4 Likes

But I heard bent bananas and no more dozens of eggs? You mean that the Mail might have been misrepresenting the truth?

“The Daily Mail : Like the Weekly World News, but with less Bat Boy and more pro-fascism.”

6 Likes

it can be observed in my country, too, that racist attitudes in a region have a strong inverse correlation with the actual number of immigrants living there.

nonetheless, fear of immigration with old people in rural areas seems pretty clearly to have dominated this voted over the concerns of the younger generations for their economic and cultural future.

6 Likes

The Upside: British beer is served as a proper pint with no pesky milliliters measurements

The Risks: British recession, EU infighting, EU dissolves, economic and political chaos, banks collapse, global recession, wars on the continent

Cheers!

16 Likes

So say the homeopaths. Not so much in real life.

13 Likes

Could have to do with familiarity breeding acceptance. If you live right next to an “Other” you’re more likely to strike up a friendship than someone whose notions about them come largely from xenophobic tabloid propaganda.

(Anecdotally, some older people’s traditional or religious homophobia is defused after a family member comes out. Some disown them, but overall they’re more likely to support equal rights than people who think they don’t have any queer friends or family.)

10 Likes

Hurrah ! Next logical step :

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0c/12/3c/0c123ca1332787cc956fc8ad5e119b6a.jpg

Long live the 51st !

10 Likes

Some European friends of mine were “out” since the start - deeming that the potential new waves of immigrants to the UK were less salubrious than they were in their time. Duh.

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting all morning for the Brexiteers to pull that one out of the pocket. It’s not there!

3 Likes
1 Like

You’re a EU citizen for now - as a EU citizen you can claim the german equivalent to “jobseekers allowance” in Germany (your gf as a polish citizen too). Not exactly something you’d want to stay on … but it’s enough to bridge the time until you’ve settled. If you want to know more send me a message.

1. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
7 Likes

There, there. Nobody is alone. Britain has great friends that have already expressed their support:

15 Likes