Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

Yeah, but they’re not rushing right now to say come and play with us. We used to be the school bully.

A reunited Ireland?

1 Like

We’re not in the EU either.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a particularly UK thing. If the French had a referendum, they might vote the same way. Harder to tell what Germany might do, but it is not impossible they would do the same, for they have a lot more to gain financially than the UK. But most countries contain a fair fraction of jerks, and nationalism motivates them. You can get the jerks to vote for you, but keep them away from the nice things. But Cameron didn’t.

5 Likes

maybe shifting the Eurosur funds? it could even work as a business development program, Spain has the expertise for constructing and running of fortified borders

1 Like

Decent investment opportunities. Gibraltar first, then Northern Ireland and if we get lucky Scotland.

1 Like

31 Likes

Am British.
Am software architect
Am leaving

12 Likes

where to?

1 Like

Germany profits more from the EU than anyone else, but if you ask the average German guy, you get a vaguely coherent rant about corrupt politicians, foreigners and “they took our jobs”. So, yes, I think it could happen here too. Could 40 Million Germans muster the stupidity to cut the branch they’re sitting on? Absolutely! I hereby express the patriotic sentiment that my country can be as stupid as Britain any day!

25 Likes

Following Brexit a dollar will buy you half a cabbage or twenty minutes with a lady of negotiable affection.

2 Likes

Technically it is an advisory vote to the House of Commons which could without breaking the law completely ignore the referendum entirely.

But it has been agreed that a bill will be put before the Commons to make the referendum legally binding. British Parliamentary rules only require a simple majority of those attending to pass the bill and it has been agreed that the votes will be whipped, the bill will pass. There are essentially no constitutional brakes in Britain.

2 Likes

Retirees whose pension funds have just cratered and whose house might start falling in value.

3 Likes

Is it an old law that all English politicians must look both punchably smug and disturbingly inbred?

Surely the Royal Family has a copyright on that

10 Likes

I want to try Berlin, but I don’t know how bouncy their tech centre is at the moment, so might have to start in Frankfurt and see where I end up. Helsinki is on the up as far as development goes.

I have a wrinkle. My girlfriend is a Polish citizen who has trained in the UK as a lawyer. If she gets kicked out she’s actually got nothing to go back to.

10 Likes

He was supposed to “deliver” the regions outside of London. Like it was his fault there was a referendum in the first place.

Anyway, Cameron is now out. Watching Nicola Sturgeon (First Minister of Scotland) now; she’s impressive. (I’ve only seen her before on HIGNFY.) Maybe the Queen will ask her to form the next government.

3 Likes

Do it soon/now. Under optimal conditions non-EU foreigners can get a permanent residence permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis) after 3 years living in Germany. The brexit negotiations are going to stretch to 2 years minimum.

5 Likes

Everything you said is a good thing. In medicine, when the body is healing, it goes through a decline only to become strong again.

And are you saying the decline is a positive thing, and is the cause of the healing? I have a sneaking suspicion you’re not a doctor.

19 Likes

My flat’s up in September, but my current contract is extended to the end of the year. I don’t want to leave my girlfriend behind and I don’t have enough savings to support two people for three to six months while we get established.

Massive mess. It’s awful.

10 Likes

Actually the “out” vote seems to have been higher in areas with fewer immigrants. My own area voted Remain in a sea out Out, and we have a substantial Polish population, though not enough to account for the vote.
I think it is because Farage succesfully applied Hitler’s strategy - blame the condition of the working class on out groups, though rather than Jews and gypsies they went for Muslims and immigrants.

7 Likes