Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

I wish Canada all the best. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Don’t come here, if for no other reason that Brexit somehow took out the value of the AUD as well.

EDIT: Not to mention that Aus has many of the same “no immgration at all costs!” attitudes…

5 Likes

I think the EU will be fine, one way or another; it’s not as if they’re so brittle they cannot reorganize themselves…the UK, much less so.

And what about all those smart people who still want to be EU citizens?
Are they just left out in the cold now?

Is this realistic though? Wanting to remain in the EU is not the same thing as wanting to leave the UK. The independence referendum was just two years ago and decidedly for staying.

Xenophobia, suspicion, prejudice & similar paranoias don’t thrive as well when your kids go to school with the others, and you have regular, human interactions with them as workmates, customers, or even employers.

Not that stereotypes and prejudices are automatically dissolved by this alone - there is also a saturation point where over-populous insular subcultures and sub-communities of ‘outsiders’ create and earn their own arguably negative reputation.

But I think there is a large sweet spot between fear-of-the-unknown and fear-of-dispossession, where genuine integration and acceptance can occur, over time.

10 Likes

Options are narrowing.

I can grandparent myself an Irish passport (EU Irish that is!) but not my kids. Balls.

Clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

Your area’s Polish population (unless they have taken British citizenship) wouldn’t have been able to vote. As far as I know, while Britain’s pre-EU Polish community descended from WW2 refugees (and Polish military personnel who fought for the Allies and didn’t go back after the Communists took over) are mostly British citizens, Poles who came after Poland joined the EU mostly aren’t.

If Scotland has another referendum to leave the UK, I would completely understand. Nomreason why they should be dragged away from Europe by England.

England would end up surrounded by the EU. Could this lead to armed conflict over natural resources?

1 Like

But there will be massive savings, right?

27 Likes

From the fucker to the fuckee?

2 Likes

I guess they can watch John Oliver’s Brexit segment now.

"As Britain gears up to vote in the EU referendum later this week, broadcasters are constantly working to ensure their coverage remains impartial. One such company is Sky, which has this week been forced to delay the latest instalment of John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight HBO show. Why? Because it contains a 15-minute diatribe on why the UK should remain part of Europe.

Instead of airing the programme after Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic on Monday night, like it does usually, Sky has pushed it back until 10:10pm on Thursday, just after the polls close. Social media users are up in arms about the decision, but in reality, Sky appears to be playing everything by the book."

1 Like

Hoo-fucking-ray.

I suggest a move to Scotland is advisable.

3 Likes

oops, I missed this part.

Though it seems unlikely that the UK will get more time. Longer negotiations are bad news for the rest of the EU, the current system has problems and with the UK half in and half out no one can begin a reinvention process.

2 Likes

It was fairly close, and the strong repudiation of Labour in favour of the SNP since has made the position in Scotland quite clear.

3 Likes

My German in-laws were crowing about it this morning - with the sort of barely coherent rants that are one step away from “It’s the Jews!”. Germany should be afraid - there is a huge amount of fucking insane fascist sentiment bubbling under the surface there.

10 Likes

Brave new world !

7 Likes

Well, this seems appropriate.

1 Like

Isn’t this how V For Vendetta started?

11 Likes

Only way to be sure