Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

29 Likes

This should serve as a reminder that there are many things which motivate people other than raw economics. Many things which we ignore at our peril.

If, has been suggested here, the motivation for the brexit vote is racism, then we’ve established two things. First, that a majority of the UK voting public is racist. Second, that telling them they’re all racists is not a winning electoral strategy.

7 Likes

Another Upside for those of us on the other side of the pond: cheaper British beer, although Bass ale will never lose its value as far as I’m concerned.

Early in the day I heard news reports that people were staying away from the polls because of inclement weather. I wonder if that’ll cause some embarrassment to future generations.

“Grandfather, how did you vote on the European Union question?”
“Well, since it was raining…”

8 Likes

I know this is a late reply, but Tory Brexiteers see the EU as an obstacle to Britain trading freely with the whole world, especially rising (or until recently rising) economies like Brazil and China. So Brexit won’t lead Britain to move away from neoliberalism. On the contrary, if we end up outside the single market we will have to replace it with free trade deals with other countries.

1 Like

I certainly hope you’re wrong, since the events that led to the current situation in the UK can be traced directly to the unnecessary war started by the last shitty president the US elected fifteen years ago.

God knows what disastrous repercussions the entire world will have to suffer for decades if the US were to elect an even more dangerous and inept asshole than that one.

Hillary, 2016. Save the world.

4 Likes

Tony Blair of course had nothing whatsoever to do with the Iraq invasion (cough Chilcot Report cough).

3 Likes

Starting with those who’ve made a cash down payment to her.

7 Likes

What about in economics? Or politics? Things don’t always follow the pithy rules and tend to be very sensitive to reality…

6 Likes

To be fair… I also think that Trump will be the next president… now.
I didn’t think that yesterday, but I do now. This will bolster the racist/bigot vote, now they see they can actually vote and change the world instead of just protest-voting. Seriously, Canada needs a wall now… :confused:

13 Likes

It seems apropos that “Brexit” is a homophone for “breaks it.”

10 Likes

Just as I’m sure PM Boris Johnson will have nothing to do with his country following President Drumpf over whatever cliff he decides to jump off.

2 Likes

I don’t. Brexit will just galvanize the opposition even more, and coupled with his inept, non-general-ready campaign management, his lack of donors, and the unrelenting focus of the Democratic machine now turned directly on him, this will only make Drumpf’s loss even more of a landslide than it already was set to be.

2 Likes

Holy crap; I realized that Scotland overwhelmingly voted Remain, but I didn’t think they did so this consistently:

Compare and contrast to NI, which voted solidly to Remain, but had some regions that wanted to Leave.

5 Likes

That map suggests another “leave the UK” referendum in Scotland’s very near future.

14 Likes

It isn’t obvious who was following whom. Blair was pushing an “invade Iraq” policy even before W was elected President, and much of the “evidence” for WMDs came via British intelligence.

Dear EU, given that the Channel Tunnel comes into London, would you like a capital-sized exclave?

Sadiq Khan’s article in the Evening Standard today seems to suggest that “London wants a place at the negotiating table, alongside Scotland and Northern Ireland”.

I would suggest those who voted out on the basis that the EU was stripping workers of rights, and that an exit would be better, are misguided. Cameron is going and has, effectively, handed control the far-right wing of the Conservatives. As such, the rich will be alright - as they generally are - while the poor will suffer from a slower economy and probably more austerity.

I don’t think anyone in mainland Europe would be happy with this result. It’s just a mess. No one wins.

5 Likes

Lets just all keep calm, and wait to see what Vladimir Putin has to say. And then do something else.

8 Likes

So, the real question is how fast Amazon UK and Waterstones will have their exchange rate updated - I’ve got about a dozen books I’ve been thinking of ordering from the UK. (Or is that my credit card who handles the exchange rate? I’ll have to call them and find out…)

1 Like

Next up, Britian votes to leave the Commonwealth, because it’s full of “brown people.”

7 Likes

What’s wicked (in the witch sense, not the cool sense) is that counties like Cornwall - which receive massive amounts of EU funds - have voted out.

Why? My Kernow friends - why?

3 Likes