Brian Posehn thinks "New Music Sucks"

The chipmunk Christmas song was a #1 hit. In 1958. There is far more shitty old music than there is sucky new music. It might even be that the ratio of crap:gold is better now than ever. Certainly we have no particular lock on schlock.

3 Likes

I have never done karaoke before, I want this to be my first song.

2 Likes

He’s not very good at the musical comedy bit. His last couple of songs, mostly intended to mock the metal scene are also not particularly funny.

In terms of not comedy Posehn has been really vocal on criticizing the metal scene for sameness and a generally douchebag culture. Recently he’s been loud about calling out the really shitty reaction many bands and fans have had to Baby Metal. Cause they’re women, and not white so they are not metal according to a bunch of asshats.

So his take on the whole subject seems to be filtered through that prominent, displeased metalhead take. He works it into his comedy in a few ways, including a lot of self deprecating jokes, often referencing his age. The songs just seem to be a less successful end of that. I don’t really think he makes it work.

2 Likes

i tend to believe that if you can’t find new music you like it’s because you either aren’t looking hard enough or aren’t looking in the right places. i believe that there has never been a “golden age” in which all music was extra-special and now is just a reflection of a culture in decline. there has always been a firehouse of mediocrity and a trickle of the exceptional. it’s true now just as it was true in the 90s or the 70s or the 50s.

if you don’t like the new music you’re listening to, listen to new music somewhere else.

7 Likes

Heavy solidarity and what not, but must it be 6+ minutes? I guess so. Maybe it’s needs to be 30 minutes.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. Yes, Chuck Billy, Scott Ian, and Johan Hegg are indeed heavyweight metalheads, but Slipknot is a ska band and as such Corey Taylor should not be included in the list.

1 Like

If you can tell that it’s “autotune”, then it’s likely done so on purpose.

I recommend watching this Sideways video from a few months ago: https://youtu.be/05hTQC1CZko

1 Like

My favourite abuse of Autotune:

5 Likes

New music ain’t what it used to be

You might want to check out the Bee Gees documentary on HBO, they talk about the Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in 1979. I was 8 when that happened and the doc had me thinking about a lot of things things I grew up with and about what I heard was cool and uncool as a child.

It probably didn’t help that I watched this after watching Space is the Place, Sun Ra’s movie. Most of my life I’ve been attracted to weirdo movies, but somehow, I had never heard of a movie that is basically an afrofuturist version of The Seventh Seal that looks like it was directed by Jodorowsky. I mean I know why I’ve never heard of it, but it’s still fucking depressing.

I was listening to a podcast a year or so ago where a Grammy-winning pop, R&B, and hip-hop producer was interviewed. I don’t remember who it was, exactly, but he said that pretty much everything is autotuned to some degree these days, including the singers who are widely regarded as the “best.” He even copped to autotuning Beyoncé himself. He wasn’t embarrassed about it or disrespectful to the artists, as I recall he said it was mainly an issue of economy – get a take that’s close enough to perfect and process it, rather than do take after take until the singer gets it perfectly him/herself.

I’m guessing he’s coming from a big-budget, major-label perspective – I don’t really see the likes of Megadeth or Superchunk (am I dating myself?) using autotune, even on the down-low – but it’s clearly used a lot more than most people realize.

1 Like

I think you’ll even find a softspot for the music that still sucks - every time I hear the Dead Milkmen I get filled with a warm nostalgia until I remember how much that band sucks.

2 Likes

Seems like Sturgeon’s Law applies, of course (90% of everything is crap).

90% of the music produced today is crap. But 90% of the music produced in, for example, 1968 was crap too. It’s just that over time we drop the crap and keep playing the good 10%. And that will happen decades from now for music produced today.

4 Likes

Pretty much everything is pitched corrected, and Autotune is just one brand name tool for doing that. Often enough even the audio on TV and in films is tweaked this way. It’s a fabulous cost saving measure. Instead of doing dozens of takes to get something perfect because just a couple notes are off, and thus burning studio time. You use these tools to correct an otherwise good track.

The thing that annoys people is the pitch correction you notice. Either aggressive and poorly done to cover up otherwise shit singing and playing. Or that Autotune sound everyone knows, which is just overdoing it deliberately so it sounds like robots.

It’s kinda like glitch art. Take a fairly normal audio correction feature and push it till it breaks. The obvious “Autotune” you hear often isn’t name brand Autotune either. Sometimes cheaper or pack in versions that aren’t as good at actually fixing shit are preferred because they sound, well, worse.

It’s annoying cause it’s a gimmick and it got way too popular. But it’s not what these tools are really meant for. And saying you can’t imagine Megadeth using Autotune even secretly is a bit like saying you couldn’t imagine them adjusting levels or using noise reduction to clean up a track.

If you’re recording music professionally you’ll probably use it at some point to fix something that needs fixing. But laying thick layers of it over everything isn’t good engineering or production.

2 Likes

Man offended that not all music caters to his preferences?

1 Like

wait till you find out how autotune was created

1 Like

I enjoy Brian Posehn. I like seeing folks that I have at least some tenuous connection to perform in this video, because that means he is supporting some of the more interesting comedy performers associated with the Pack Theater and other venues currently financially in dire condition.

My favorite music is music I’ve never heard before. I like bleepy bloopy stuff, I get the appeal of mumble stuff, and my favorite radio station of all time is KXLU. In my college days I was a fan of Flaming Lips / Stereolab / Spiritualized / and all them local space rock bands in mid-90s Denton TX.

I’m seeing Flaming Lips whenever the vaccine hits critical mass or whatever later this year. I saw Stereolab in 2019. I also saw several rather small local bands performing rock, rap, jazz, whatever… all good stuff.

Anyhow, I hate the old people complaining about new stuff nonsense in general, and I did feel the self aware bit was present plenty for me. But what do I know? I like watching On the Cinema / At the Cinema… I GOT OSCAR FEVER YA’LL!

Personally I’m high keyed triggered when someone pulls out the trope that modern popular music “sucks”. I get that maybe with myopic vision it may do in north America but FFS leave the rest of human civilisation out of the joke!

IS THERE NOTHING THEY HAVE NOT DEFILED?

Seriously?

I too am old now.

2 Likes