Bridal trend: "Extremely revealing," low-cut wedding gowns

7 Likes

This would make the wedding of friends a bit more interesting, and the weddings of family a wee bit more awkward.

May be a bit prudish of me, but I haven’t seen my cousins naked since we bathed together as wee ones, and I’m honestly ok with that.

4 Likes

Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the American public.

1 Like

Well, these new Mardi Gras style dresses* are still modest and appropriate, because they’re white. Only virginal brides are allowed to wear white dresses and pearls, and virgins are the standard of modesty.

Fun fact: 100+ years ago, it was considered bad taste for unmarried women to wear elaborate, flashy fashions and big jewels (like tiaras), because it was thought she was trying to ensnare men with her clothing, instead of inspiring the man through her charm and accomplishments. Perhaps these new brides are just being honest about how they met.

Younger, unmarried women dressed in “youthful and innocent” (19th Century Fashion 117)
clothing, meant to reflect the Victorian ideal of pure femininity. White, the most popular color
especially for evening dresses, further symbolized purity and availability for marriage. Single
women’s clothing was often less expensive than that of married women, as cheaper clothing was
thought to be a symbol of thrift, which would hopefully attract a husband.

The Evolution of Fashion

*Mardi Gras: “SHOW YOUR T__TS!”

4 Likes

I totally agree.

Personally I like a gal with HUGE tracts of land!

10 Likes

My mom has HUUUUGE tracts of land, but you’ll probably lose interest after you meet your future in-laws.

1 Like

Or maybe they do that ceremony separately from the one where all the ‘normal’ people are attending. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

2 Likes

If I was the Groom and saw this dress for the first time, I would seriously consider taking a runner. Horrifying.

3 Likes

In society at large perhaps, but during a wedding, well that certainly doesn’t match my experience or any other husband I’ve talked to. If the bride’s primary function is to be gawked at by the other male guests it would only make sense that help selecting the dress would come from the husband. You know because the amount of input I was allowed to give on my wife’s dress was zero. In fact she already knew what she wanted well before we got engaged. If anything I see this more as a Disney princess fantasy that has been heavily marketed rather than some type of male sexual fantasy with the wife on display as a trophy.

2 Likes

At this point, he should know her well enough not to be surprised by her style and uh, taste in clothing. If he doesn’t, I agree he should not only run, but also take time to figure out why he let things go so far before he found out.

5 Likes

Good thing he left out his favorite armband.

The joke will be on the fashion industry when society switches over to full nude weddings and the sales of wedding dresses and tuxedos plummets.

3 Likes

And “never sell a diamond”

1 Like

Yep, all dermatologists remaking your 30s’ bareback looks, through a series of ceremonies and personal choices involving the keratin selvedge loom God wanted you to operate as you walked, the subtle lines of the feedstock plenum that let you cry that silicone repair epoxy in 7 colors when need be, or the practicality that has you shed takeaway shells when presented with stress, but that ties into a string vest that is never not in fashion.

Pretty sure -after- a wedding is when one normally switches clothes with partner? Only Sephardic Orthodoxy there?

40% sure I just didn’t notice the male’s low cut.

6 Likes

Wait, what?
He chased her till she caught him.
Who is it for?
Jus’sayin

The bride in the photo has nice breasts but that is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

um… cool

Glue? Really strong double sided tape?
I guess she wasn’t interested in dancing, bending, or walking very fast.

3 Likes