Brit who voted to leave EU immediately regrets it

Jesus dude. Go to your NHS doctor and get some chill pills. Nothing has happened yet other than a stock market overreaction.

1 Like

I was telling myself British Leyland jokes earlier. Remember the Austin Maxi?! God, they were awful. And the Allegro!

You canā€™t fucking buy a British car these days. Maybe a Caterham 7, or Morgan - and they are fantastic. But Jaguar / Land Rover is Indian owned, MG is Chinese (and was always shit anyway). You canā€™t buy a British car.

With restrained borders, you can persuade desperate natives to buy rubbish. Like Malaysia with Protons. But they eventually figure out a way to get something not crap - and in Malaysia, thatā€™s serious.

Britons have a number of problems - fundamental problems. One is that they donā€™t take politics seriously - and allow todayā€™s kind of consequential error to occur. Second, theyā€™re brilliant engineers - I donā€™t know why, itā€™s in the water - more brilliant than others, by a good distance too. (OK, give me a little rope here). But they donā€™t capitalise on it. The money people in the UK screw it up.

Iā€™m a Brit, to some degree. Iā€™m ashamed today of the insult thrown in the faces of the million European people living in London.

I get it - there were issues. But this isnā€™t the way. This is a monumental fuck up.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, maybe if Boris says heā€™s very, very sorry, France and Germany will let us stay in the EU.

Nah. Maybe if Theresa May turns Borisā€™ and Nigelā€™s bones into a windchime and presents it to Merkelā€¦?

4 Likes

7 Likes

That everyone predicted. Scotland talking about independence was also predicted.

Up Next: All the other things that were predicted to go wrong with this.

#FreetheUnicorn

12 Likes

It certainly is. Neither Farage nor Johnson intended to win. The plan was to get a close Remain victory, so that Boris could use the thinness of the margin to force Cameron out as leader of the Tories, and so that Nigel could carry on making a nuisance of himself while feeding the anger of enough supporters to keep himself in beer for the next few decades. Instead, Boris has proven himself too clever for his own good (or possibly not nearly as clever as he thought he was), and Farage has destroyed UKIPā€™s raison dā€™ĆŖtre by accomplishing it, and lost his sinecure.

18 Likes

Technically, this is not a binding referendum. Cameron (or successor) could refuse to ask Parliament to vote on an exit, or Parliament could vote no. Until the UK formally files the divorce papers, nothing is set. Probably not much will happen before Cameron goes and then it will probably be pre-formal-filing unofficial negotiations. There is plenty of time for a mulligan if someone figures out how to pull it off.

3 Likes

From the Financial Times. Known for not bullshitting really.

Stock market over-reaction? Every fibre of my highly liberally educated body screams that exiting a free trade agreement this way is as smart as swallowing razor blades.

And the sorry indications are that maybe a lot of voters really didnā€™t understand what they were doing.

This might actually be akin to the scandals surrounding George Bush Jnrā€™s elections. But the failure will have been the complacency of the ā€œRemainā€ campaign. This should never have happened.

In or out, thatā€™s not the question or answer. The question is was there anything wrong with this election, and did people actually inform themselves?

But if - if this really was a bigoted, xenophobic vote - then modern day Britain is full of racists, of bigots, and fearful small islanders - who do not have the personal strength or skill to engage in a modern democracy.

And apart from the stock market reaction - which was FUCKING GLOBAL - the pound fell massively against every major currency in the world.

Shall we move on to discuss the philosophical implications of this idiotic outcome?

And Jesus? He wasnā€™t there.

21 Likes
7 Likes

It was. Me and my brothers made an igloo out next to the bins. It was ace. AND the school boiler broke, so extra holidays.

3 Likes

Not reading your link (sorry) but the referendum does not need to be ā€œvalidā€ in the EU.

Itā€™s an internal UK matter. To suggest otherwise is to enter the clusterfuckwittery of the Wilipedia editors insisting that Irish independence occurred when it was ā€œgrantedā€ by the UK. But not the US which declared it.

The lack of a constitution in the UK means that a referendum is a different thing to one in a constitutional democracy.

2 Likes

Only time will tell what the consequences are. If leaving the EU ends up being a mistake, then corrections can be applied later. Everything is going to be fine.

Bullshit. Everything can be whitewashed, given time.

The point is the missed opportunities. And how the fuck did the leave campaign actually win?

It didnā€™t need to be this way. My view - remain, hold UK politicians to real account, give it 10 years, then exit if a lot of hard work really didnā€™t establish benefit or change the status quo. Be businesslike.

5 Likes

As I said in another thread, regret like this is from eating that 5th taco. You thought you wanted it, but in hind sight, no. This should NOT apply to voting on important decisions.

4 Likes

And how the fuck did the leave campaign actually win?

The remain campaign was terrible, thatā€™s how.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the UK, or whats left of it, going to have to comply with most EU regulations anyways for whatever goods or services it wants to export to the EU? I think the UK has misunderstood how much it can actually separate itself from Europe. The UK will still have to follow tons of EU rules, but not get any benefits.

9 Likes

I agree. Political failure all round.

The Leave campaign havenā€™t made clear their plans. How reassuring.

1 Like

Learning hurts.

2 Likes

32 Likes