Britain's US ambassador: Trump is "insecure, incompetent, inept"

I much prefer the crassly undiplomatic Scottish interpretation:

14 Likes

Which we’ll find out the details of in … Her Emails™!

4 Likes

No one’s mentioned “indecent” or “illiterate.”

12 Likes

What makes you think a civilized country like the UK would be willing or able to practice diplomacy with a shithole country like the US?

Since Suez, the UK"s foreign policy record is one of unquestioning fealty to the United States. And of course, any shitty thing the US did, the British Empire did ten times worse during its heyday.

9 Likes

I cannot stand this orange ham,
I cannot stand him, Sam I Am!

22 Likes

Hat-trick.

1 Like

I am given to understand that the technical term is “special relationship”.

11 Likes

That’s another reason why the Brexit isn’t a totally bad idea (for the EU). The UK was the USA “fifth column” in the EU for the longest time.

2 Likes

Another instance of two great nations divided by a common language. The American understanding of the term is closer to “special” as in “Special Olympics”.

5 Likes

As, arguably, is the understanding of the tern “great”.

7 Likes

To clarify it is not Trump alone he described “We don’t really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction-riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.”

16 Likes

I think part of the honours system includes a ‘sacrificial node clause’: do a good ambassador job but could you throw us a bone when you’re just about to leave? Yes, some faux indiscretion would be just fine… …oh look what we found… a spare knighthood! And it fits! Amaze! Yay!

9 Likes

totally agree

1 Like

I would have said constipated.

Weird that Anthony Weiner hasn’t turned up in this mess.

This isn’t diplomacy: it’s his job when talking to his government to tell the truth, not sugar coat it for sensitive man babies. Undiplomatic language is pretty much everything US ambassadors to the UN say in public.

When he was talking to American officials you can be sure that he told them they were super great. US ambassador reports from countries would look like this also, no doubt the US ambassador has some really insulting opinions of current UK politicians. Or at least if he’s competent he does, because they are also fucking nut jobs.

24 Likes

No - he was sending two messages. One for the addressee.

8 Likes

Just another example of the British penchant for understatement.

16 Likes

UK ambassadors tend to be professional civil service. US ambassadors are political appointees, usually golfing buddies of the president.

There are some assessments you deliver face to face to your boss, and don’t commit to writing.

2 Likes

point

17 Likes