British Airways forces man to sit in wet urine-soaked seat for 11 hours

they’re clearly not puddle jumpers. :wink:

7 Likes

sometimes you just have to let it out.

Depends on you to absorb the consequences, though.

3 Likes

how far will it go before before all the passengers crawl off a plane as a human centipede.

1 Like

Maybe they should consider cutting drain holes in their seat corners?

2 Likes

How else can we encourage them not to sqeeze the charmin’?

One floating seat cushion at a time cannot be the #1 way to address this!

The only really surprising part of this is when you consider it in light of the fact that most ‘by the book’ biological fluid handling policies require people in occupational contexts to treat basically anything as though it were glowing green, bubbling, and radioactive.(Not that this happens in practice, the janitor just gets sent in anyway unless it’s a hospital, and probably sometimes even then; but if there is a written policy, and there almost certainly is, it states that PPE and plasma pyrolysis is the minimum accepted standard).

Odds are that this urine presented minimal risk; but odds also are that 'force unprotected man to sit in unidentified urine" is wildly substandard for the purposes of occupational health and safety standards; and quite possibly dubiously compliant with standards for air transport of biological material.

What is actually relevant is that it’s repulsive, humiliating, and terrible service; but all those things are probably legal. Being perhaps less than compliant with Guidelines to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Biological Agents) Regulations 2013, or similar, isn’t really the point; but that doesn’t mean you can’t ask unpleasant questions about whether this is really in line with BA’s mandatory risk assessment and mitigation procedures; and failures there are at least technically against the rules.

12 Likes

This is what stuck out to me too, it should be “The story is absurd and we have been unable to verify it with any other news sources yet”. Quoting Mirror and Daily Mail automatically translates in my head as “so it’s not true then”.

7 Likes

BA are appalling.

My 9 year old daughter was on their flight from London to Sydney recently. (It’s a long haul flight with a stopover in Asia.)

On the first flight, as the cabin crew dimmed the lights for night time, she reclined her seat.

The man behind her suddenly lost it, punching the back of her chair, swearing at her, yelling - just gross abusive behaviour.

The crew came down and managed to somehow tell both him AND my wife off, despite them having said nothing. They threatened to divert the plane - they may have not bothered to notice who was the aggressive adult male threatening the young girl - but clearly they knew it was an extreme situation.

They didn’t move him. For the next 9 hours my daughter had to put up with him sitting behind her. She’s 9 years old, and was petrified.

The plane lands, they have their stopover, and when they reboard HE’S STILL ON THE FLIGHT. In the exact same seat.

So there’s a further 12 hours of her feeling unsafe, uncared for by staff, and knowing the man who was abusive to her suffered absolutely no penalty.

After four parties complained and solicitors became involved, BA unrepentantly offered a voucher for £100. On a flight that costs nearly a thousand.

And it’s useless to us anyway. Come hell or high water I’m not going to see any member of my family fly with them again.

17 Likes

Is it the seats or the “average human ass” that has changed?

1 Like

“A 50% bonus.”

5 Likes

Then adding insult to injury, the flight attendant got real pissy with the traveler.

So the piss tape IS real!

“Either urine your seat or urout of the plane. Your call.”

5 Likes

8 Likes

Nah, they were going to South Africa, not Germany.

Isn’t their motto, “Come fly the friendly skies, you fucking wanker.”?

2 Likes

We gave Cathay a go last time we went to Europe. I was happy with the service. We had maybe two or three hours to wait in Hong Kong both ways.

As horrible as this is for the man, I can see why BA did it. If news gets out that if you piss on your economy seat they offer you a spare seat in first class…do the math.

4 Likes

With the lines and the TSA insults and the possibilities of being beaten up by airline crew, not to mention having your luggage mangled and mishandled or the huge carbon footprint, it’s a wonder anyone willingly gets on an airplane anymore. I know that I haven’t gotten near an airport with the intention of flying anywhere in nearly a decade.

4 Likes