British government says UNICEF should be "ashamed" for feeding hungry children there

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/17/british-government-says-unicef-should-be-ashamed-for-feeding-hungry-children-there.html

13 Likes

By a wonderful coincidence, “Political Stunt” happens to be Cockney rhyming slang for “Jacob Rees Mogg”.

44 Likes

I thought Jacob Rees Mogg meant entitled knob

24 Likes

Both. I was taking a shortcunt. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Greased hog?

8 Likes

Jacob Rees-Mogg is Ebeneezer Scrouge’s sleep paralysis demon.

20 Likes

Rich Man Angry Money Spent On Wrong Poor People.

22 Likes

I had to literally go back to the article because I guess I am so naive I could not fathom anyone being mad at poor children being fed.

29 Likes

The current Brexit chaos is everything Rees Mogg’s daddy had hoped for. Worth noting that “The Sovereign Individual” is Peter Thiel’s favorite book.

18 Likes

There are right poor people?

19 Likes

They’re colour coded.
Guess which ones do better.

27 Likes

Enslaved ones, if that shit has his way.

11 Likes

Oof. But yeah.

10 Likes

There are difficult problems with complex interplays of challenging factors. Hungry children is not one. It’s a problem you can throw money at.
All you need to do to keep Unicef from feeding the hungry children in your country is make sure the children in your country are well fed.

39 Likes

She’s the Iron Lady and she approves of this message…

crown-maggie-yes

It rhymes so yes.

15 Likes

Jacob Rees-Mogg, Johnny-on-the-spot for the Christmas season!

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

[…]

[Scrooge:] “I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned–they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Really, the cheek of these little moochers…

30 Likes

But how will we ever fill our manufactories? Empire 2.0 won’t establish itself you know. Our new prosperity requires tonnes of British goods to be sold to the colonies our Commonwealth partners.

Plus we will soon have excellent job opportunities for boot boys, maids, under maids, second under maids, footmen, valets, groundskeepers, beadles, and so on.

18 Likes

Here’s the kicker - something that no-one in the media, the opposition or unions have yet to acknowledge - Patel’s new immigration bill makes it ILLEGAL to employ foreign nationals to “Low Skilled” jobs.
So, in effect those low paid (“skilled” means pay mostly) jobs are now exclusively for UK nationals - anything higher up the ladder can be imported - 600,000 Hong Kong graduates have applied to come here.

Given we (were) at almost full employment in 2019, and agriculture/care jobs have huge numbers of open vacancies this spells the end of progression hopes for UK nationals at the bottom of the ladder - they cannot be spared, migrants cannot be brought in to to the work, so there they will stay.
Expect a tougher stance on unemployment/illness benefits in the new year.

Meme-ready Mogg.

25 Likes
11 Likes

“Consider it as a test: if the British will take this from their government, they’ll take anything .”

I think that bridge was crossed when Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson became Foreign Secretary in 2016.

13 Likes