British sausage roll shop apologizes for this amazing painting of baby Jesus as an enormous sausage roll

I dunno, are there degrees of kosher-iness? If it’s forbidden, it’s forbidden, doesn’t matter if you think it’s icky or if it’s super-icky, there’s only one state of forbidden-ness.

Meanwhile, whether Jesus was Jewish or the first Christian or in a Shroedinger’s state between the two, he famously said that we are not defiled by what we eat, so arguing that he would have been offended by being replaced by a pork product because of the kosher laws seems… unsound theologically.

1 Like

There are well-read folks on Judaism here. I am hesitant to invoke them by name, but I am quite fond of whenever they decide to post. Hopefully they will weigh in on this. Honestly, I have spent most of my time in the Midwest USA, so I know very few Jews, and none are particularly devout.

All this to say, I dunno.

1 Like

A part of it anyway.

Savorier Savior?

2 Likes

for all the ac/dc fans…“it’s a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI

1 Like

Would you like some Samahdi Sauce?

If I was really wealthy I’d be on a plane right now. Pardon me whilst I empty my drool bucket.

Ugh, what a can of worms! (definitely non-kosher) let’s just say several thousand years of “holier-than-thou” has resulted in continually stricter Kashrut. On the other hand the majority of American Jews are not Orthodox following all the commandments.

The results of this is that is there is always going to be someone who won’t eat your home, even if you claim to keep kosher. There are those who wont eat Empire meats, by far the largest Kosher meat packer in the country. The whole thing is a mess of paranoia and paternalization. Ex: Bible says not to cook a calf in its mother’s milk. Ok. But chickens don’t give milk at all why can’t we cook them with milk?

And I also just heard a new one after 23 years with a kosher keeper, you can’t serve fish with meat even though fish is clearly not milk based. My shtetle raised Nana didn’t have a problem serving gefilte fish before the brisket!

3 Likes

Jesus, I really want a fucking sausage roll right now.

4 Likes

Looking forward to my royalty cheque from the Daily Mash:

1 Like

Doctrinally, this is literally true. Humans are not kosher because for a mammal to be kosher, it needs to have cloven hooves and chew its cud. Humans fit neither criterion.

I dunno, are there degrees of kosher-iness?

Sort of. The don’t-mix-milk-and-meat thing is stricter (in a sense) than the is-the-animal-itself-kosher thing, in that an Orthodox Jew could sell a non-Jew a pork hot dog, but could not sell them a cheeseburger, or even make a cheeseburger in the first place.

1 Like

Not kosher, Sure. I get that. But an equivalent amount of not kosher? (Is that a thing? Varying degrees of kosher?)

Back when I kept vaguely kosher, I always considered accepting hospitality to be more important than the laws of kashrut. If I come to your house for dinner and you serve me a pork roast, Imma eat it. But then again, I’m a heretic.

2 Likes

It’s completely subjective, as long as you’re not Orthodox. We know people who simply don’t eat shellfish or pork, others who will buy only kosher meat but don’t have separate plates etc. Once you’re Orthodox, it should NOT be subjective, but they argue about who certified the meat kosher and are they trustworthy, etc.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.