Buckaroo Banzai

Whenever I buy a coffee, or reserve a table, I use the name “John Smallberries”. A deadpan “Is something /funny/?” is occasionally necessary.

4 Likes

Blue-blaze irregular Noah Django, reporting.

a dimension-traveling rocket car

come come, now, @jlw. it is a jet-powered Ford F-150 (though the stock engine is still intact). It is referred to throughout the film as the “jet truck.” there’s a whole page of specs on the DVD.

also on the DVD is the alternate intro featuring Jamie Lee Curtis as Buckaroo’s mom, shamefully cut from the theatrical release. i highly recommend it, and the DVD generally for all the fantastic menus and extras. but i was lucky enough to have seen it in the theater and then got the VHS as a teen, which I watched jillions of times but later found out was rare and highly sought after by collectors.

“What are you still doing on the floor, pal?”
“Well, I think it’s 'cause I can’t move my legs.”

It’s been on YouTube for a year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2axIy9KExY

John Big-Bootayyyy

Why is this not available on BluRay?

2 Likes

“Hey, hey, hey — don’t be mean. We don’t have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go… there you are.”

(Saw this in the theatre!)

2 Likes

Alas, the print I saw at the time had a pretty bad sound track – and I’ve been told that the sound design was questionable even if you got a pristine copy. Hope it’s been cleaned up in more recent releases.

I’m guessing because there was no great demand for the DVD. I found mine in a chain grocery store in a bin for maybe $7.99, which screams “overstock liquidation.” I was amazed at the quality of the DVD, though. they must have used a great print and scan. the whole package is done right and “for fans.” I don’t think we’ll ever get blueray, but the DVD is very nice looking anyway.

1 Like

I have the closing credit music as my ringtone for unknown numbers. I’ll let them ring through sometimes just to hear the music :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Use more honey!

I had it as the theme to my answering machine’s outgoing-message for years. cue VHS. pause. TV vol max. bring ans machine over to TV. press rec. unpause VCR. read my greeting.

nobody ever recognized it ;_;

it is through this end credits theme that my hip hop nerdlore and my Buckaroo Banzai nerdlore overlap in exactly one place, which is at 2:48 of Dougie Fresh’s most famous single, The Show (featuring the magnificent Slick Rick) :

1 Like

Why is there a watermelon there? Check the FAQ;

http://www.banzai-institute.com/0901FAQ.html

Makes total sense now

The closing credits of this movie made me totally lose faith in humanity. We were promised Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime League. Promised!!

5 Likes

I saw it in theaters and loved it. Owned and wore out a VHS copy. Have the DVD, have the script, also have the spec script for the sequel (which was never made in part because the actors went on to be famous and expensive).

And if you read the novel version it explains why the watermelon is there.

Truly one of the best nerd/cult movies of all time. The first time someone allowed me to pick my own name for a computer I named it HB88. No one ever got that, either.

Did anybody else notice that BB looks maybe a little bit like, well, this guy:

and what timing too! My family and family friends would come to our house every labor day since 1982 (this year no exception) sunday before labor day (post party hangover), we would chill out and watch Buckaroo Banzai.

“why me?” “because your Perfect Tommy” “you know… you have a point there”

I’m a goin’ home. Home, home is where you wear your hat!

Isn’t it more of an inter-dimensional war, than an interplanetary war? Or was the 8th dimension just a way to get into contacts with the nasty Reds and the cool ass rastafari Black Lectroids?

Hey now, hey now, you don’t hafta be mean.