Buckaroo Banzai

Yeah, me too. I’ve never ever been stoned, every single time I rewatch it.

1 Like

There are several times in the movie someone asks "Why me?’ and get an odd, off or funny answer.

Bow ties are cool

Peter Weller and John Lithgow are here on a podcast talking about it with Kevin Smith.
http://smodcast.com/episodes/buckaroo-banzai/

3 Likes

I do physical therapy on patients, and have had assistants monitoring patients on electrical stimulation. Occasionally the patient asks him to ask me if it’s ok to turn it up some.

“More power to him!” in my best Lizardo.

3 Likes

I’m a member of the Blue Blaze Irregulars.

As a side note, I absolutely adore fictional organizations like the BBI and Global Frequency. There’s something so wonderful about being part of an organization that might call upon you to be awesome- at any time.

4 Likes

If I remember correctly, Richter’s script for “Big Trouble” started out as the sequel to “Across The 8th Dimension”, but the studio got cold feet and wussed out.

It all worked out, more or less, as “Big Trouble” is a fine freak-out of a movie in it’s own right…

hey, that was really great! thanks so much.

John Fish, John Joseph, John Cooper, John Omar, John Fledgling, John Roberts, John Milton, John Barnett, John Nephew, John Guardian, John Ya Ya, John Two Horns, John Edwards, John Parrot, John Nolan, John O’Connor, John Small Berries, John Wright, John Wood, John Camp, John Grim, John Many Jars, John Coyote, John Jones, John Chief Crier, John Rajeesh, John Littlejohn, John Starbird, John Lee, John Bigboote.

It’s Big booTAY!

1 Like

“All these social security numbers were applied for on the same day.”
“Yeah, and they’re all named John.”

Why must it be?

After having seen it on video any number of times, I finally got the chance to see it on the big-screen – in Budapest, Hungary. During the factory scenes with exhortations blaring over the PA, my native-*- friend said “this isn’t science fiction – it’s a documentary!”

-*- yep, loin-cloth, bone-thru-noise, spear-chucker, and all. They grow 'em wild on the Danube.

1 Like

not that there was any doubt, but in the podcast that snig linked to, Lithgow averred that he did indeed study Mussolini’s mannerisms.

Easy - it’s even fully explained in the book (which is a must read, written in the style of a pulp like Doc Savage/The Shadow, where This Adventure is just another in the series). Buckaroo was making a nutrient-filled watermelon that could be airdropped by bombers to feed the hungry. But they needed to make sure it could survive the drop!

Rob hasn’t seen TABB? TAKE HIM TO THE PITT!

(relevant to my user name)

Need to bomb Syria President Obama? Use the “Declaration of War (The Short Form)”

Remember kids, 2014 will be a good time to look for 30th anniversary screenings.

The DVD is actually a REALLY good transfer. It is worth watching on disc to not watch the pan and scan. Turn on the extra footage, it is good as well.

I feel so break up, I wanna go home!

Yes, the DVD release is amazing in all aspects. The Vestron VHS release was horrid, you actually got better audio taping it off TV.

I posted essentially the same thing on my Facebook 12 hours before this post appeared on Boing Boing. There is Buckaroo Banzai in the air somehow! https://www.facebook.com/solmssen/posts/10151807618701539

“Don’t worry, it drives like a truck.”

“Good! What is a truck?”

2 Likes