Building a D&D Book Nook

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/18/building-a-dd-book-nook.html

2 Likes

These are awesome. My wife’s working on one she calls the Museum of the Arcana. She’s very crafty, that girl.

3 Likes

Nice, but I usually fill the empty spots on my bookcases with … more books.

5 Likes

Most of our shelves have a horizontal layer on top of the existing books, and are typically two-deep. Lots of love for the theme and the art, but when I heard “book nook” I thought “themed place to curl up and do an analysis of the different editons of the Player’s Handbook.”

3 Likes

Combine the ideas of this one, with the optical illusion tricks from this other one:

(Change to fit the genre: sorcerer’s lair, wormhole, etc.)

5 Likes

I’ve always been a sucker for dioramas, so I’m really into the “book nook” versions, and as a gamer I’ve always been into miniatures, so the two together… I’m just surprised that (if) no one has combined the two before - it’s such a natural fit, it’s like a jigsaw puzzle with two pieces, both sitting there. I mean, gamers already have at least a section of a bookshelf devoted to game books, and are already doing miniatures/dioramas…

Yeah, it’s the one flaw with my desire to make one of these - I already have all my bookshelf space filled, with books stacked flat on top of those books (and in some cases, books behind other books… every time I add a new bookshelf, the same thing instantly happens there, too.

1 Like

That’s really cool, I should make one.

Roll for initiative … um, 2.

Nevermind.

2 Likes

People have empty spaces on bookshelves?

1 Like

With any decent-sized collection, seepage from L-Space usually fills the gaps.

5 Likes

Gelatinous cubes? What are you gonna do? Submerge your books in a vat of Jell-O?

1 Like

I currently do have more space, but that’s because I’d run out of space and bought a few more book shelves to fill. Although technically the number of books lying on dressers and table tops would PROBABLY fill all the free space and more…

Guess it’s time to buy more bookshelves!

That is great! They did surprise me with the reveal, too. I did expect mirrors to be involved but I thought they were on the inside, making a symmetrical room appear bigger. That they were hiding space on the outside of the TARDIS didn’t occur to me. That’s a much more elegant solution.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.