Buy a rainbow Swatch, get a three-year jail term in Malaysia

Originally published at: Buy a rainbow Swatch, get a three-year jail term in Malaysia | Boing Boing

1 Like

Why are bigots sooooooo easily triggered?

22 Likes

War on prisms.

moving pink floyd GIF

21 Likes

“The Rainbow Police are coming; let’s make like a light beam and split!”

11 Likes

Merry Christmas Meme GIF by Morphin

Snowflakes, like they love to label other people who aren’t bigots.

8 Likes

Will they be issuing rainbow blocking sunglasses so they won’t be offended by the SKY?

11 Likes

I can’t find Fabulum on the Periodic Table.

14 Likes

I wonder if paint stores face special regulation in Malaysia. Maybe they arrange things in roy g vib order to take the curse off.

10 Likes

Given how much the right are consistently freaking out about rainbows now, I think the queer community needs to go one step further - start claiming really basic, unavoidable things, so everything is a queer symbol. Either you end up with a situation where the right try to ban all images and colors, or they’re just in a constant state of being triggered (though they’re pretty much there already). (Also, I’m just amused by the idea of e.g. “Oh, the color olive green? That specifically represents drag queens. Sorry soldiers, you need to drop the camo to wear something ‘less gay’ now.”)

14 Likes

… and optical science :rainbow:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that make you yag?

8 Likes

Swatch: The watches did not promote any sexual activity but were merely a fun and joyous expression of peace and love.

Malaysian government: hisses like vampire exposed to sunlight

11 Likes

It’s a watch!
Run Away GIF

6 Likes

Now I am even more impressed with the temple officials who ticked off cultural authorities by repainting the steps to Batu Caves in 2018.

8 Likes

We need to find a way to make owning guns a gay thing. We could maybe achieve peace on earth if you could sell that idea.

7 Likes

It becomes even more important to get your signaling discreet, distinct yet plausibly deniable in countries where the risk of being outed is life-threatening. Allowing rainbows let people signal to who they want but let them say, “oh this? I got it at Swatch. Colorful, ain’t it” if you boss asks about it.

The authorities wanted to close that loophole, make it a loud and clear thing if you have a rainbow colored timepiece.

1 Like

They’re going to have to try and arrest Mother Nature next time it rains and the sun is shining just right.

3 Likes

It’s not as if this year’s Swatch Pride line is particularly obvious individually.

banner_d_v2

They look kind of retro.

Untitled

3 Likes

Milo Yiannopoulos already did that.

2 Likes

spray misting on sunny days has to be stopped the little rainbows that occur are an unnatural act of terrorism. /s

3 Likes