Buzzkill: Fauci and others no longer discuss herd immunity. "It's off the table" says one expert

I’m wondering if it will eventually trigger a revision of how vaccines are approved. I don’t know how broad the applicability of a particular mRNA “strain” is, but it seems like there is a periphery of applicability (variants, for instance).

Also; After the dust has settled (if it settles), I believe that the rollout of mRNA on this scale will be considered one of the all-time crowning achievements of medical science.

17 Likes

Not to mention all those things (masks, flattening the curve, herd immunity, vaccine) were goals, not solutions.

19 Likes

This just occurred to me:

Onlyfans + Sex bots

5 Likes

The issue is not so much the vaccine, as that our immune system is remarkable precise and selective in what it views as “hostile invader.” Which is a very good thing, if you know anyone suffering from autoimmune diseases, which occur when that precision is lost. It is very much a survival pressure on the virus to find a way to avoid the immune response triggered by the vaccines, in which case the vaccine has to be adjusted to account for the new variant. There are literally billions of new variants arising all the time, but only a vanishingly tiny number actually change anything of significance. But, as they say, it only takes one. The new Texas variant seems like it could be a problem, but remains to be seen.

New, antibody-resistant coronavirus variant discovered in Texas (sfchronicle.com)

19 Likes

I like to believe that as this drags on the 25% will cull themselves from the herd. A form of natural selection in quick time.

1 Like

The shorthand version: these dumbasses are refusing to get the shot so we are ditching the herd immunity reasoning and going all out on getting as many rational people the shots as possible before the health care system collapses like what’s happening in India right now.

11 Likes

Problem with this read is it just washes our hands of the issue as if nothing can be done.

We can compel people to get vaccinated. Whether with soft pressure or firmer requirements.

These people find out their kids can’t go to school, can’t get on a plane. Can’t get or maintain a job.

That number will shrink real fast.

Unless we consider it a foregone conclusion and continue to half ass this.

16 Likes

One of my eternal rants is that everything shitty about this nation – everything – is smothered with conservatives’ fingerprints when it’s not a matter of a conservative initiative. The right’s refusal to vaccinate is inexcusable. Blacks’ refusal is well-based – they’ve been experimented on no less than Mengele’s subjects if not quite as gruesomely (maybe). Bu non-Black conservatives? Please.

12 Likes

Thankfully it’s not very common yet, but if it does spread… look out. If it doesn’t it’s still an excellent example of why we need “everyone” to be vaccinated. We can’t keep fighting variant after variant. Eventually one is going to “beat our vaccines”.

Below is a link to info not behind a paywall for anyone curious.

11 Likes

Brazil as well; completely fucked.

I agree that if there were restrictions (including school) on what the unvaccinated could do, it would/should push things along BUT vaccination is so politicized for certain people at this point that the administration is trying to soft serve it to get more acceptance. I suspect hard lines will be step 27. But if you deny some kids schools, they’ll just go to homeschooling or make their own (terrible) schools up. Segregation. One day the civil war will be fought along the border of Montana/Utah/South Dakota/etc.

8 Likes

I wish but the truth is the 25% (probably more) that refuse to vaccinate are f*#%,!g incubators for variants that could be resistant to the vaccine antibodies.

10 Likes

Right? Could you imagine what people in states like Arkansas who are trying to teach creationism AS SCIENCE would do to kids if they all had to be home schooled? I could never imagine sitting in a college biology class with another student who ONLY ever learned creationism. How would that ever work?

We have to “play it safe” with restrictions, but this clash of culture and reality is going to put us in a very claustrophobic, divided and absolutely insane reality with no center to hold it all together.

9 Likes

We’ve been uplifted… made (slightly)super-human… picked the immunity-to-deadly-plague-and-its-persistent-complications perk instead of the rat-licker perk.

5 Likes

Perhaps we should let the “free market” figure this one out. “Dear insured, we are adjusting your insurance premium to reflect your decision to not vaccinate. You are entitled to an in-network doctor’s evaluation to determine if you qualify for a medical exception.”

25 Likes

Honestly, this could be a very directly viable option. Hits right in the wallet.

In the military, if you want a mask exception due to medical reasons, the list of requirements to prove that out is onerous enough to discourage most fakers. Take that and apply to vaccines.

Pondering on this further, maybe ‘free market’ isn’t the right description because that would be the insurance company charging EVERYONE more (because they can) and we’ll all take the hit.

Honestly, I don’t know why we’re not taking cameras into emergency rooms on every new station every week. I cannot imagine being a health worker at this point.

13 Likes

You spelled “flyover states” wrong.

1 Like

Much like all racists aren’t neatly confined within the borders of the south, but instead are found in every single American states, there are anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers in every single state. This needs a national solution, not more lazy assumptions about certain parts of the country.

32 Likes

Jokes on you, many can’t afford insurance before Covid.

7 Likes

I am finding stay at home dadism pretty fulfilling.

5 Likes

This is the map of vaccine resistance. It’s an us problem (and a US problem), not a them problem.

Vaccine Hesitancy for COVID-19: State, County, and Local Estimates | ASPE

I know it’s a frustrating infuriating situation, but there’s folks in the middle of the country happy to get immunized and unhappy about dying. The regionalization bit is divisive and not helpful.

26 Likes