Buzzkill: Fauci and others no longer discuss herd immunity. "It's off the table" says one expert

Herd immunity?

Baaa
humbug

1 Like

Fuck. It was frustrating to hear know-nothings nonsensically propose that we could get “herd immunity” by just letting everyone get sick, but now we’ve got the vaccine and actual herd immunity is still out of reach.

Uh, here in California, we have a distressingly large and vociferous anti-vax movement around covid. Droves of public health officials have quit because of the threats they were getting (and large numbers of people showing up at their homes to menace them); there are protestors outside vaccination sites; local sheriffs refused to enforce mask mandates, etc. The stupidity is nation-wide.

16 Likes

In my town (a fancy-pants SF suburb), we’re at 70% first dose, 40% second-dose, and we’ve got about 25% 18 and under. We’re ahead of most cities in the county, but at some point, the only reason you didn’t get a vaccine is that you didn’t want to. I’m happy to wear a mask indoors for a while yet, but at some point folks who are getting COVID b/c they aren’t vaccinated is there own problem.

2 Likes

Except it’s not “their own problem.” As other noted, they could very well incubate variants that do not response to the vaccines, which once again, puts the rest of us in real danger. Much like when they refused masks because “freedums”, they are once again putting others in harms way by their selfish behavior.

24 Likes

Unfortunately that point is never reached when we’re talking about a communicable disease.

Got my 2nd shot today. Was feeling much better about this. Oh well

Vaccine requirements to use public services for anyone who can safely be vaccinated!

12 Likes

I do hope the airlines and/or your government figure out some kind of vaccine passport that’s more than “show your forged vaccine card to a TSA goon” before we reopen our borders here. But somehow I kind of doubt it.

7 Likes

I’m no longer human? FUCK YEAH!!!

(I’ve been getting really sick of the garden variety of human that I’ve witnessed in the last 4 years, particularly during the pandemic).

Super glad to no longer belong to the species. I’m starting a new species gotta find a good compound…

11 Likes

Anti-Vaxers are a threat to humanity as a whole. As in a literal, actual, physical, people will die because of them threat.

Anyone refusing to get a vaccine (for any reason besides actual real not-made-up medical conditions), is a severe life-and-death risk to everyone around them. They are making a life-choice to spread death and destruction to the rest of us. The constitution may say you have a ‘right to bear arms*’ but it does not say shit about you having a right to spread disease and kill people around you.

And no, your so-called “religious reasons” is a fake excuse you evil murdering fuckers.

• only for members of a well regulated state government militia
11 Likes

These days, if you are developer you will spend a distressing bulk of your day in zoom meetings, so you can consider your socialization quota more than filled. That is if you are willing to count spending unending hours of time talking with managers, clueless business folks, and other developers as “socializing”.

3 Likes

Nope. We’re going to live (and die) with covid forever because of the GOP and its desire to sacrifice human lives to fuel capital.

5 Likes

No it won’t. Trumpists with guns will show up and demand to be served.

There will be some clashes with police, or shootings inside businesses like Disneyland.

They’ll shut down for a few weeks. Then re-open claiming they’ve upgraded air filters or whatever else, and say anyone can come and nobody has to worry about vaccines or masks.

That, or they’ll just make sure whatever the “industry standard” is for checking covid passports is weak and unenforceable. Just handwave everyone through whatever checkpoints.

The US has become experts at security theater already. Just look at airports.

8 Likes

Just some thoughts:

Sex work is work, so just make sure you’re getting valued as an employee both in pay and benefits and don’t get used as a contractor (the same applies for any other gig work). Also, consider that you will need some mental and emotional support. Working with the public in an intimate way is emotional work, and it’s exhausting. A good background in social work would be good preparation, I think.

I’m a developer these days, working remote for a non-profit with really great people, so I get some awesome social interaction, but the organization tries really, really hard to make sure that happens. Not every organization will.

I’m also in a writers circle (not a critique) group that is a big boost of human interaction every week. Writing is solitary work, but writers tend to be fun to connect with. Just avoid gig work here especially, it’s undervalued.

Not sure if any of that is useful, but just what I’ve learned.

6 Likes
4 Likes

That’d work well for a disease with a high mortality rate. Like ebola, or MERS or TB. And while COVID is quite deadly relative to seasonal flu, or food poisoning, it’s just nit at the same scale of deadliness and doesn’t kill fast enough to be limited that way.

7 Likes

The only reason I don’t like this analogy is that society makes it difficult to make good decisions about food, especially people from marginalized communities.

The Covid vaccine is different in that the roadblocks are being removed by and large (though I’d posit that marginalized communities are still underserved), and there is no conflicting message between advertisers and health professionals.

1 Like

You don’t see any regional divisions on this map?

I love George, but honestly, this is less about stupidity, and more about ideology. Even smart people can fall for ideology, if spun the right way.

8 Likes

on that note:

7 Likes

Yep. Trump’s supreme court has made it absolutely clear that the law does not in fact or practice apply to any person or corporation if they can manage to argue their crimes are part of sincerely held judeo-christian values.

To trump’s white supremaciat supreme court, the only important law is God’s.

7 Likes

with more than half of Americans having been vaccinated for Covid-19 with at least one shot

The linked article says that about 130 million Americans have gotten at least one shot. Thats 40% – well below half – of the U.S. population of 328.2 million.

The article also says that the 130 million represents either half of U.S. adults or half the population over 16. That’s not a meaningful statistic. The virus isn’t restricted to people 16 and over.