Caitlyn Jenner to announce candidacy for California governor

No doubt about it, the curtain has been drawn back to a position of no return with the Swamp Crowd.

9 Likes

Flood gates are open

Well, it could be worse. James “Christ” Caviezel could be running. Because he could win. He has visibility. He has a base. He oozes sincerity, even when he’s bleating over non-existent adrenochrome-related conspiracy theories. Gods help us if Karl Rove gets to him. He would be the ultimate Manchurian Qandidate.

1 Like

So Republicans won’t vote for her because she’s transgender and Democrats won’t vote for her because she’s a Republican… So I guess it’s just the Kardashian viewing crowd who normally wouldn’t vote?

4 Likes

The problem is that this could still generate the kind of media hype that gives the recall effort more momentum. The way the laws are written in CA no individual candidate has to be more popular than Newsom to get Newsom booted out of office; it’s basically an up-or-down vote on whether to recall Newsom and if the “yes” vote has it then Newsom gets replaced by whichever recall candidate gets a plurality of the votes.

The Gray Davis recall campaign didn’t really pick up steam until Schwarzenegger threw his hat in the ring, guaranteeing a TV-friendly media circus. As it happened more people did end up voting for Arnold (4.2M) than voted to keep Davis in office (4.0M), but all Arnold actually needed to do was to beat the second-most-popular recall candidate (2.7M).

9 Likes

As far as republicans go, she at least seems to actually have had a work ethic at some point.

THIS. A thousand times, this.

7 Likes

If the rabbi is doing it because they want to send Roma, gays, people of color, and the wrong kind of Jews to concentration camps.

Can’t wait to see the long list of qualifications. If we keep electing idiots because they’re famous, we deserve to crumble into obscurity.

1 Like

I remember living in the Caribbean and hearing about Arnold running; I thought it was a joke, until he ended up actually getting elected.

10 Likes

But they aren’t voting for her back into the Olympics, they are going to vote for her to cut taxes on the rich and oppress the poor, including a hugely disproportionate number of trans people.

1 Like

I’m still not sure it wasn’t a joke.

10 Likes

In the beginning, it was a joke, arnie’s said as much himself.

but after his announcement, he accidentally found himself with some popular support, so he had to put together an actual campaign. And he seems to have taken the job seriously once he was elected.

3 Likes

Bully for him; I’m still against electing rich celebs with no actual political experience.

16 Likes

8 Likes

Aye. Schwarzenegger was the exception, not the rule. We’d be better off if we never rolled the dice on that particular gamble ever again.

6 Likes

As someone who’s trans I’m gonna say no. And seriously for anyone who lives in California, please don’t vote for anyone that’s a TV personality or movie star again I know you got Hollywood and all but you got more options that are more qualified and less annoying or absurd.

9 Likes

I live in CA, and I sure as hell won’t be voting for her.

11 Likes

The recall election is a terrible idea funded by Republicans but I think Newsom could turn it around tomorrow by keeping his campaign promises, like the one to stop issuing fracking permits. He promised to ban fracking outright & to protect what’s left of California’s natural beauty. Now is the perfect time to align himself with Deb Haaland at the Department of the Interior, & the Indigenous land/water protectors.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s really a thing specific to California. TV personalities and movie stars seem to be at least as popular outside the state as within.

Ronald Reagan was more popular as a President than as a Governor. Minnesota elected an action movie star from Predator as their Governor years before California did and later elected SNL writer/star Al Franken as a Senator. And that reality TV show host who ran for President in 2016 never had much support from the Golden State.

8 Likes