Caitlyn Jenner to announce candidacy for California governor

Let us file this one under “our boring dystopia” and move on.

sorry, California. you’re on your own on this one.

1 Like

Apparently she also enlisted the help of former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale (pictured.)

4 Likes

Being a celebrity isn’t necessarily something that should disqualify someone for running for office, but it shouldn’t be the main qualifier, or even a significant one.

3 Likes

Yep. Thank you for such a clear picture of how Ca recall elections work.

So many people posting some version of ‘we had a reality tv politician and look how that worked out, so haha’ and I´m like “we all poo-pooed the mere notion that such an unprepared clown would win an election and look how that worked out”.

Anecdote: I was living in Ca when the Governator got elected. And I remember this intense debate between two phd candidates in polysci and sociology. Both had lived abroad enough to have an idea of what’s beyond US borders. And one was arguing that US meddles so much in other countries’ biznatch that ‘every person on earth should get to vote in major US elections’.
And the other one countered, “Fine, but they’d still all vote for goddamn Arnold Schwarzenegger!”

6 Likes

Brad Parscale is running her campaign and …that should say everything. This is a big nope.

Back in the 90s and early 2000’s I actually worked with Mr. Parscale… He got a lot of his first jobs though nepotism. I got a good memory of him putting memory into a computer backwards and cracking the motherboard.

7 Likes

Celebrities who become politicians can to do a good job, but when they do they are usually serious about the politics part.

It’s politicians who want to be celebrities who you need to avoid

9 Likes

Ms. Jenner’s web site lists no platform or policy positions but it does have a place to buy swag and a link to send her money, so I guess we know where she is as far as that goes.

11 Likes

I dunno, I think she has a real shot at beating Newsom in the ski race down Devil’s Mountain.

3 Likes

Well she’s also a murderer. Yeah okay murderer rolls of the tongue way easier than vehicular manslaughterer or killer with abhorrent political views. Whatever. No fucking thanks.

huh

Looking at some previous California governors…
Reagan did not earn any Olympic gold.
Schwarzenegger: also none.
Both scored big in [film] media.
So I can imagine why Jenner thinks “what the hell, why not?” esp. given how volatile California voters might be.

Earl Warren went on to become SCOTUS Chief Justice the day he resigned as California governor. But he had been a lawyer and an AG previously.

I am going to guess that Jenner will at least be an very unlikely SCOTUS appointee because she has no law degree or other legal credentials etc. OTOH, it would appear in the past few years that just about anyone can get on SCOTUS these days, barely–oh just barely–clearing the one presumably necessary hurdle of having a JD from somewhere.

ETA: @Brainspore beat me to a lot of this! good on ya!

3 Likes

Ronald Reagan was head of SAG twice, and other union leaders have gone on to careers in politics without having their qualifications questioned.

He was still an arsehole regardless.

6 Likes

Oh yes, definitely.

4 Likes

Republicans are more than happy to vote for a Judas goat who will lead the rest of us to our deaths.

6 Likes

Ahhh. One of those Big Picture people then. (Because you never want him actually touching anything.)

1 Like

And this in a nutshell is the key problem with primarily the GOP… As @the_borderer notes, politicians who just want fame should be avoided at all costs. It animates people like Marjorie Taylor Greene, Gaetz, etc. They have no real interest in governing, except to hurt the people they claim their voters don’t like…

I really don’t know how to strip politics of this problem, other than getting the money out, but there is still the celebrity part.

Indeed. They are a ghoulish death cult at this point.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.