Calabasas fan of Nazism forced to remove public display from his condo balcony

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/calabasas-fan-of-nazism-forced.html

4 Likes

This could mark the first time an HOA was the least Nazi-like party in a dispute regarding property rights.

34 Likes

So the city ordered removal of the signs, but it’s not clear on what basis. The article said that no threats were made, but the mayor said “We will not stand for this type of material being displayed for everybody to see,” which doesn’t make things any clearer.

They guy’s obviously not anyone’s idea of a picnic, but if he has the wherewithal it sure seems likely he’d win this fight against the city.

ETA: one would hope it should go without saying, but in case there’s any doubt: fuck Nazis of all stripes, whether ironic or actual or historical, and nothing I’m saying about the city’s actions is a defense of the nonsense this guy is putting on display. We can hopefully all agree as a baseline that this kind of display is odious and be able to discuss the stuff around it with that in mind.

4 Likes

The City of Calabasas has notified the homeowner on Park Sorrento he has 24 hours to remove the offensive material posted on his property since it violates city code covering inflammatory language and threats to others.
This type of material and language has no place in our community and we are working tirelessly to get the material taken down.

10 Likes

I remember when HOAs were more concerned about for sale signs. Good times.

1 Like

A man who is believed to be the long-time owner of the condo was seen last week yelling and cursing at people from his balcony.

giphy-2

4 Likes

Nazis. I hate these guys.

18 Likes

Hmm…I haven’t seen the statute, but if, as the story indicates, there were no threats made, a prohibition on “inflammatory language” is not likely to hold up if he fights it.

Yeah, this guy seems like he’s a trouble individual at best, and just a run of the mill Nazi dickhead otherwise.

2 Likes

“…who may or may not have a mental illness…”

I fail to understand.

1 Like

Article sadly doesn’t elaborate.

Here’s hoping the authorities have more information than “He’s a racist asshole, he must have a mental illness” fuckery.

10 Likes

At the bottom it mentions he’s known to scream and yell and rant from his balcony. Not “normal” behavior, but not necessarily “crazy”.

Not so sure this guy is a fan of Nazis. It looks like he’s comparing our current administration to Nazis. The posted video sounded like he’s anti-Trump but was highly muted. “****** Donald Trump and his ****** racist behavior…”

I read another LA Times article which stated: “The signs, which show Nazi emblems alongside American flags and profanity-laced diatribes, seem to call out several politicians, including Mike Pence and Mitt Romney.”

Is he trying to call out racism? Either way the guy clearly needs some help.

Still researching.

From https://ktla.com/2020/01/15/man-posts-anti-semitic-messages-on-calabasas-condo-tells-reporters-to-call-the-white-house/

“One message on the condo’s door stated “I am Jewish” and used the phrase “sh–hole country,” an apparent reference to Trump’s language during a January 2018 closed-door meeting about immigration in which he referred derogatorily to El Salvador, Haiti and African nations.”

Regardless he’s issuing death threats not only in his signage but to passersby as well.

6 Likes

Even though legal precedent says otherwise, I personally consider any nazi display, unless otherwise proven, a directly articulated threat to my own existence.

You should too. It’s not a philosophy that tolerates the survival of people who don’t agree with them. That’s why it’s so important to fucking bash nazis whenever they show their face.

6 Likes

IMO it looks like that gobbly gook word salad conspiracy theory ranting that I’ve seen usually plastered all over cars. There used to be a local guy who I saw regularly at the store with his truck covered in bright poster board with just a huge mix of topics full of ranting (found his house one time looking for a garage sale!)

Its along the same veins of the nutty conspiracy websites of the 90s (Time Cube, anyone?) Just throwing up everything on the wall.

I know we aren’t supposed to speculate on peoples’ mental well being on the forum, but it is very hard for me to take someone like this seriously. They are in the very least a public nuisance and promoting some dangerous ideas.

2 Likes

I’ve worked with people who both bolded and highlighted words in their communications. Nobody that I’ve remained in contact with.

1 Like

Hate speech is considered an active threat in many jurisdictions.

3 Likes

I was curious so I looked through the Calabasas code (yes IAL) and couldn’t find any such code or ordinance. Maybe the code regarding nuisances at B.14 which says " Any other condition that is contrary to the public peace , health, and safety or otherwise prevents the enjoyment or reasonable use of property".

3 Likes

These pics seem to indicate that he is himself a Jewish emigre, proud to have been naturalized, and extremely upset about the lack of separation of church and state he had pledged to uphold in his oath of citizenship.

I think it may be a mistake to label him a Nazi/nazi sympathizer.

6 Likes

What jurisdictions are you referring to? Because under current US law, there isn’t a 1A exception for “hate speech” and the SC in R.A.V. relatively recently struck down as overbroad a statute that did more or less what you’re referring to.

2 Likes

Agreed (for now)…however this does display how problematic it is to use nazi symbolism regardless of your message.

Just don’t swastika, bruh. There’s no need for it. I had a friend who was deep into the hard core punk scene and had a swastika with the “no” symbol through it. I’m not sure how many times he had to explain that he was against nazis before he finally got it covered up. (Those were only the people that approached him about it. How many more thought he was pro-nazi without verifying?)

Also, as I stated above, this guy doesn’t get a pass. He’s spouting off death threats in his signs and directly to his neighbors.

3 Likes