California bears routine check-ins on humanity are leaving them unimpressed (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/california-bears-routine-check-ins-on-humanity-are-leaving-them-unimpressed.html

4 Likes

Almost every human population center in the United States was Black Bear habitat until a handful of generations ago.

Ironically Sierra Madre is one of the few places where bears didn’t live before the 20th Century.

11 Likes

Truckee, however, was theirs long before anyone brought a human anywhere near enough to eat them—the humans. I am not sure of anyone eating bears near Truckee.

2 Likes

Sure, but so was almost everywhere else. Coexistence is the name of the game.

Well that’s a serious undercount, based on what I’ve been seeing in my neighborhood. Most of our bear interactions never make the news here.

One interesting recent event that I posted about on another thread took place on my kid’s friend’s front porch:

5 Likes

Team Orca.

5 Likes

We kind of suck at that for the past few hundred years… we used to be better. The bears certainly aren’t at fault for that!

Killer Whales Ocean GIF by TJ Fuller

4 Likes

That’s why I think the takeaway from human/animal encounters needs to be “we should follow best practices to preserve human and animal safety” rather than “humans should not live in areas that have wildlife and wildlife should not live in areas that have humans.”

3 Likes

Hmmm… maybe, but we could probably find ways to not encroach on some habitats and preserve them instead. That was kind of the whole point of the parks system, after all.

4 Likes

Absolutely. But all places where people live have some wildlife, so we should also learn to live in harmony wherever we can.

5 Likes

Right. And the fact that bears are seen in Truckee is a demonstration that Truckee is in fact currently better at coexisting with bears than cities elsewhere in the country that don’t regularly have bears come for a visit. People living in cities where bears have been completely driven out (which is the vast majority of American cities) certainly shouldn’t look down on cities where bears have managed to hang on and coexist.

3 Likes

Sure, I agree with that. Urban sprawl is a huge problem though (here in the ATL and LA being two cases of that). We obviously can’t undo that damage, but being more thoughtful with urban expansion going forward would be great.

4 Likes

Libertarians, when faced with land owned by faceless government organizations like the National Park Service:

Image-2

(Oddly, they’re fine when faced with land owned by faceless private corporations… :thinking:)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.