California lawmakers reject "John Wayne Day" because John Wayne was a racist creep

Maybe they should try sneaking it in as “Marion Mitchell Morrison Day.”

Has a nice ring to it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that. Certainly he was pretty conservative. I was referring more to his military service, where he was definitely the real deal.

2 Likes

Seriously? He was my childhood crush. Sigh. Another fantasy ruined by reality.

4 Likes

i can totally vouch for that, i work in a building across the street from John Wayne Airport in Newport Beach lol

1 Like

I found it pretty telling what German actor Hardy Krüger, who was in Hatari! with him, had to say about Wayne. Reportedly, once while drunk he lamented that Germany had lost the war. And more generally, if the guy who attended an elite Nazi boarding school and fought in the Waffen-SS thinks that “to the right of the Duke there was only the wall,” then perhaps you should mellow a bit.

12 Likes

So, now I’m curious: Did John have some breathtakingly-dubious explanation of why needing something only justified taking it back in the frontier days; or was John Wayne, American Hero, secretly a big ol’ Pinko Commie who endorsed expropriation of property by the proletariat?

1 Like

There’s a reason that there’s a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjLmqAZ_0o

3 Likes

I’m just gonna set this down, right here:

10 Likes

And also, it’s not like there weren’t people who were anti-racist prior to Dr. King, either. There was a strong civil rights movement through pretty much most of US history.

11 Likes

Plus there was that walk.

3 Likes

Remember Rappin’ Duke? Daha daha. You thought that hip hop would take it this far.

4 Likes

I DO! DR. Demento made my Monday’s groggy.

3 Likes

Oh I just ADORE the Bird Cage!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dcitf8.gif

Dah HA, dah HA! Dah huh-huh-HAH!

2 Likes

I was meta-referencing Notorious B.I.G. there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am aware.

:slight_smile:

Yes, I remember Biggie, and his version of ‘Juicy.’

I can also recall the original by Mtume.

1 Like

Oh, for sure. But you’d definitely have to be more racist than the average American (or at least more open about your racism) to publicly say stuff like “I support white supremacy” in the post-King era.

7 Likes

Ah, nuts. Scooped.

What did Jimmy Stewart do wrong?

When I drive my hummer through Santa Ana it is just like our soldiers in humvees in the 'Stan.

2 Likes

Apples: middle eastern
Fireworks: Chinese
Baseball: British
Free Enterprise: Italian
The Fourth of July: French, basically.

9 Likes