California lawmakers reject "John Wayne Day" because John Wayne was a racist creep

Why would your friend go to John Wayne’s door in a dress?

5 Likes

Being right-wing is not by itself a character flaw; and in terms of being an informant - that’s an allegation in Michael Munn’s book (I haven’t read it, but I hardly take the single accusation as cold hard fact, and I have yet to see it verified by anyone but him).

3 Likes

That’s what I came here to mention: they already named a damn airport for him!

2 Likes

“That don’t mean nothin’. A lot of straight guys like to watch their buddies fuck. I know I do.”

Ah I love that movie.

5 Likes

You don’t like fireworks?

2 Likes

There were conservative actors were on the right side of the Civil Rights movement. John Wayne wan’t one of them.

The March on Washington:

6 Likes

“I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

At least this means he wouldn’t have been a Trump supporter. He’s got that going for him.

3 Likes

In Japan, I could buy the little fireworks year round, didn’t need to be on an Indian reservation or a holiday. And those were pretty cool, ignoring the ways the local kids would use them to torture and kill small animals.

The small fireworks in America can be fun, I like them toward new years more than J04, just because they’re not as common and theres less fire danger. But when a whole neighborhood is doing them in the summer, it really makes me hate my countrymen.

I don’t think there’s much good things to be said about the big fireworks outside of Disney parks. I’ve come to associate it with loud,overcrowded spaces, lots of public drunkenness, and the kind of diluted, dimwitted patriotism that celebrates wars of agression-the ones ‘we’ have declared ourselves victorious in, anyway.

Most years, it’s only the first few shots that are properly visible anyway. The rest of the show is swallowed up in the smoke cloud, like watching lighting from outside a cloud. It’s pretty in its own way, but not what anyone intended.

And then theres the trip home, through the traffic jam, that takes longer than the show itself.

No, I can’t say I’m much of a fan.

2 Likes

Please understand my not inviting you to my next Independence Day party is not a snub, but a recognition of your aesthetic preferences.

1 Like

Also note that this form of celebration does a lot to trigger the PTSD of many veterans, especially when the fireworks are set off randomly in residential areas. I know an amazing number of veterans who also aren’t very fond of fireworks for some odd reason.

7 Likes

Post can’t be empty! shaka shaka shaka

2 Likes

“Different times?”

3rd century B.C.?

Renaissance Europe?

Pleistocene Era?

This was an interview in Playboy magazine, not an excerpt from Herodotus’ “Histories.”

9 Likes

And don’t forget his war record. Which, of course, doesn’t exist, as he managed to avoid serving in WWII. Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, and others had no problem enlisting. He kept claiming he was going to, right after he made a few more movies. That “few more” turned into 13 films, and despite repeated statements that he’d enlist, he never did.

4 Likes

Well, not everyone who was blacklisted was a communist for one…

3 Likes

Nothing I was aware of when I posted. I was suggesting that he was a better person to honor than John Wayne.

1 Like

Then I misunderstood you. I stand corrected. Both Stewart and Lee Marvin were among those who saw real combat during that war. Whatever you think of that or other wars, you cannot deny their courage.

2 Likes

Also:

3 Likes

Both Stewart and Lee Marvin were among those who saw real combat during that war. Whatever you think of that or other wars, you cannot deny their courage.

But if it’s true that Stewart later worked with Hoover (and/or McCarthy) to out Hollywood “commies,” he was no longer being courageous in a way that I would applaud.

5 Likes

I guess that comes down to how you view Communism. I will try to do some research on Stewart’s role in the Red Scandal. I had not heard about him being connected to that. My Dad knew him pretty well. Both were high ranking pilots with combat experience, and hunted and fished together several times a year. I will ask Dad about Steward’s views. But most of those guys are not keen on the reds.

Just put &.n.b.s.p.; without the dots.

1 Like