California set to legalize eating roadkill

hey it’s illegal? who’da thunk.

1 Like

I’m guessing that they haven’t heard of Zombie Deer disease.
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/11/722389748/the-dangers-of-zombie-deer-disease

2 Likes
5 Likes

Oregon’s roadkill law took effect on January 1, 2019. Even though it’s relatively new, they say a growing number of people are fawning over it.

4 Likes

A vegetarian who doesn’t mind their produce a bit bruised can live quite well on fruit & vegetables tossed into the dumpster by grocery stores the day after its “best by” date, which I guess is the vegetarian version of picking up roadkill.

5 Likes

Waste not want not.

1 Like

I see what you did etc.

All I can say is :face_vomiting: But I admit to being a hypocrite though; I do eat meat.

1 Like

I just cannot manage to get this point across to my fiancee. She is just not having it.

2 Likes

Some friends and I found a deer on the side of the road and, because we’re clueless city kids, took all night to skin and gut it. We were in a cold barn with no electricity so we had to light candles. It was a weird night.

2 Likes

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/cardeer.html

In Wisconsin the driver of the vehicle has dibs on the deer, bear, turkey, or other meats they hit first. “If the driver does not want the carcass, any other person who arrives at the scene may request possession of the carcass.” I’m proud that Wisconsin is a “Hey, you gonna eat that” state. My brother in law harvested a black bear this way. It was good eatin’. You do have to call and register the carcass.

3 Likes

Wait people actually eat bear? I thought maybe that was just something people resorted to in frontier days when they didn’t have a choice in the matter.

3 Likes

It’s considered a delicacy in Asia…which is usually a strike against it.

1 Like

It is actually quite nice. Similar to grass fed beef. I encourage you to indulge if you have the opportunity.

And, of course, today I drove past a car vs. deer accident on the highway, and the driver was sizing the deer up to fit in the trunk of their car. Seriously.

2 Likes

Great read on the topic. Written for middle school and high school, but like a lot of those books, works fine for me.

1 Like

… sizing up …

animal_house

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.