Want some roadkill to cook? There's an app for that

Originally published at: Want some roadkill to cook? There's an app for that. | Boing Boing

Check for ticks, bacteria, pathogens etc etc etc…

5 Likes

I wonder if the rules also state how far off the road you can swerve to kill an animal.

(Definitely not asking for a friend. Nor for myself.)

4 Likes

Yeah, unless I was the one hitting it or I witnessed it, no thanks. Roadkill can have ruptured organs and that whole thing could be septic af. If it’s not gutted and cleaned immediately, that’s just asking for trouble.

Of course, Mrs Peas often has a corpse or two in the office freezer, but only for pelts and bones.

3 Likes

You got a “keeper” there.

5 Likes

I’m suddenly having an Orphan Black flashback about Alison and Donnie… :grimacing:

ETA: For those worried about keeping things fresh, there are guides for cooking at the scene, too:

5 Likes

I dunno, my dad has hit two deer with his car when I was a kid and both times it caused significant damage. It was still drivable, but it certainly messed things up. And cars are even more “fragile” now than when they had the big bumpers that didn’t crumple.

If you can use road kill, more power to you. I guess it really depends on the damage to the animal. If you damage the internals and leak bile everywhere, you are going to have bad tasting meat. :confused: It might work better for an ingredient for things like chili or sausage.

3 Likes

I have this cookbook (the 1998 edition)

3 Likes

I learned roadkill dos and don’ts from The Whole Earth Catalog. Never got to use my knowledge, though.

3 Likes

s-l300

2 Likes

In the UK you’re allowed to pick up roadkill, and if you’re brave/desparate enough, eat it. However, you’re not allowed to pick up anything that you hit. So, you need to have a friend drive behind you to pick up anything you hit :wink:

A friend was driving home one night when he saw a deer about to run out in front of him. Fortunately he managed to slam on the brakes and come to a halt. Unfortunately the deer didn’t stop, and instead it ran full tilt into the (passenger) side of the car, before flipping onto the bonnet and windscreen, pretty much writing the car off. To add insult to injury, by the time he got back there, some other bugger had already made off with the venison.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.