California set to legalize eating roadkill

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/16/bumper-crops.html

4 Likes

Please, the term is “wheel hunting.”

13 Likes

I ain’t stopping ya, just don’t think I’ll join you in you new found culinary delight.

7 Likes

51DGv2FUcTL

8 Likes

Cannibals ready themselves for the next high speed pursuit by law enforcement on California highways.

oh … not that road kill. huh.

5 Likes

Or just become a vegetarian?

4 Likes

That sound similar to Michigan’s law. You file a form for ‘roadkill salvage’ (specific animals only with an oddly specific list of excluded animals, rather than ‘all others excluded’) either online or by telephone. Driver of the vehicle gets first dibs. It’s specifically illegal to intentionally kill an animal with a vehicle.

It used to be that you had to already have a hunting permit or apply for one while this was theoretically expedited, it still typically took too long and no one wanted the meat by the time the process was complete.

Michigan Legislature Section 324.40115
&

5 Likes

Dunno… You are going to have to drive off road to “accidentally” road kill any fruits or vegetables. You’ll need a 4WD for that…

16 Likes

Pro-tip, call dibs on the appropriate way:

5 Likes

“an individual may possess game, other than badger, bobcat, brant, coot, crow, cub bear, duck, elk, fisher, Florida gallinule, geese, marten, moose, otter, snipe, sora rail, spotted fawn deer, Virginia rail, wild turkey, wolf, and woodcock”

Yes! this bald eagle is gonna make some good eatin’ tonight.

3 Likes

Hmm, something about that doesn’t sound quite right.

10 Likes

That’s gonna save you, from a quick google, about $750 in a year. Which is good, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at $750, but not really a solution to poverty.

Roadkill, on the other hand is free (after the initial freezer investment anyway). There’s no realistic way that swearing off eating roadkill would reduce the number of animals killed on the road, and you’re not supporting the meat industry either way. Nothing died for the sake of allowing you to eat the food you like, it died anyway so… why not?

5 Likes

I’ve proudly eaten roadkill and…venison is venison. My father was driving me back to college after break and saw what he surmised was a very recently hit deer on the way. He stayed to have lunch before the six hour drive back, and I could see the little wheels spinning in his head the whole time. After lunch he asked me for all the garbage bags I had in the house.

I enjoyed the venison, but forever regret not seeing my mother’s face when he returned.

10 Likes

Okay. I’m just saying not eating meat might be more appealing to some people than eating roadkill. That’s all.

4 Likes

In college I was on a research project and we had a permit for collecting road kill to make study skins for the University’s field campus.We were repeatedly warned about fleas, ticks and other creatures leaving the corpse looking for their next meal.

6 Likes

Sheesh, that sounds like something out of the old testament.

Wait, wild turkey is off the menu? What?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Been legal in WV for many years. About time CA caught up!

3 Likes

But can one serve it?

3 Likes

That’s pretty much my take as well. The animal has died. Why waste it by letting it rot on the road especially if it means one less sale by big agra?

2 Likes