California woman jailed for five years over cancer crowdfunding scam

Originally published at: California woman jailed for five years over cancer crowdfunding scam | Boing Boing

1 Like

Reminder that one of the reasons this scam worked in the first place is that the United States has such a terrible healthcare system that “I will die of cancer without your online donations” is all-too plausible an appeal.

43 Likes

Crime doesn’t pay…

2 Likes

What really angers me about these scammers too is that they tend to get a lot of money because they have the time and energy to market themselves whereas often actually sick people don’t and get little to no social support even when they resort to begging.

30 Likes

unless you’re a corporation or you’re a rich person and your crime didn’t affect other rich people (the Bernie Madoff clause.)

10 Likes

He’s in Hell now, changing Ronnie Regan’s poopy diapers, for eternity.

2 Likes

Said no lawyer, ever.

3 Likes

It would have been quite the twist if the fraud and money laundering surrounding the savewalterwhite.com website had been his undoing rather than all the drug trafficking and murders.

7 Likes

So she’ll likely die of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in prison? That sucks, and demonstrates the essential cruelty of the carceral state.

1 Like

Can’t tell if you’re joking, but the cancer diagnosis was the fraud. She doesn’t have Lymphoma, just a severe case of Hypoethicus.

4 Likes

Can somebody shed light as to what’s the crime here? I am not defending her whatsoever but i don’t think she was, for example, selling something she did not deliver. Can they put Rump in jail for fundraising on his nonsensical MAGA promisses?

1 Like

Fraud.

4 Likes

But you can have a self dealing “cancer charity”, if you’re dad is a famous rich idiot, and then it’s nbd.

1 Like

Exactly.
Alternate headline:
America’s Horrendous Healthcare System feeds Pipeline to Profiteering Prison System.

5 years for this seems long, IMO. Especially compared to other recent sentences…

5 Likes

This. Compare it to Rick Scott, who oversaw a company that committed over a dozen felonies related to Medicare fraud. He got to leave the company with 300 million and never saw a day in jail.

2 Likes

This is a good time to repost this:

Relevant bit at 7:50. The American healthcare system is basically propped up by GoFundMe, which incomprehensible

3 Likes

I hope she doesn’t get cancer while in prison. (I’m supposed to say that.)

2 Likes

She only got 105,000 and some?
If she was a politicianfor a certain political party, she would have grifted millions.

2 Likes

A high school friend of my sister’s pulled one of these back in the 1990s. “Please help, I need money for my cancer medications.”

Turned out the miracle drug keeping her “cancer” in remission was massive quantities of ordinary cocaine.

I never asked her how much she lost, but I’m sure my sister wasn’t her only victim.

On one level I felt a bit bad for her because her addiction must have been terrible to lie to friends and family. But only a tiny bit. The rest was “you piece of shit.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.