Californians: get your digital COVID-19 vaccine record

They’ll likely be used in combination with a check of a government issued ID (e.g passport for a flight, driver’s license at a bar or concert, etc.).

2 Likes

Every factual statement starts with that, or is it the other way around…

Yeah it contains some JSON more or less. In my case: name, date of vaccination, which vaccine, entity that vaccinated me, and the lot number.

For extra credit I’ve got to figure out how to get California to merge my two records since I was vaccinated at two different providers.

3 Likes

If your legal name is different from the name you commonly use try both variants. In my case I was vaccinated by two different providers who used two different variations of my name. Both reported to the state so the information is there but not aggregated appropriately. The electronic record shows a a different batch number than the vax card for the second dose for some reason. It’s all fun and games until someone goes full on enterprise solution.

Since stores are probably not going to check people’s ID on entry, they should just keep requiring the masks, otherwise the proportion of unvaccinated shoppers will just be the same as the number of unvaccinated people in the state (currently around 43%).

I’m fully vaccinated, but shopping this week in California with all the maskless people was rather unnerving.

(Edited to subtract 57 from 100)

2 Likes

Hey, New Yorkers:

Apparently, such passes as these might be dangerous. (eg, The Alabama legislature has considerately made this illegal.) Thus, use the pass for a probationary period. If you are hit by an asteroid or life is too convenient or too “back to normal,” stop use immediately and return to morose, self-imposed lock-down until symptoms lessen.

1 Like

Mine showed on one cert. I went to two different pharmacies!

1 Like

I got mine in a leather pouch. Haven’t had to pull it out yet.

1 Like

I thought mine wasn’t in the DB, but turns out my healthcare provider had me under the THIRD variation of my name. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks, Jason.
I filled it out and within a minute had my Vax Code.
It looks impossible to make a forgery.

1 Like

Yes/no. You’re not going to impersonate the state’s signing key. However it’s trivial to generate and publish your own signing key, create a vaccination record, sign it, and generate the QR code from that. The Smart Health Card docs I looked at didn’t seem to address the issue of trust. And that is the biggest potential problem. If the apps used to validate the record whitelist keys or issuers it’s all golden. If the apps download and trust keys willy nilly then you could trivially create a false record that would pass muster.

That’s the one tech part that New York almost got right with their astoundingly awful IBM health record (it’s got five blockchains and web scale JSON!!!) – the only sanctioned way to validate a New York COVID passport is through their official app (which hopefully DTRT).

2 Likes

Thank you for the information.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.