Californians: get your digital COVID-19 vaccine record

Originally published at: Californians: get your digital COVID-19 vaccine record | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Now do that for every US citizen that’s is vaccinated, and while you’re at it, how about a National Voter registration digital and all.

P.S. It took 30 seconds for Dear Wife and I to get it done, why why why can we not do this for a National Voters registration!

13 Likes

Thanks for spreading the word. I got mine and my family members’ done yesterday. I’d suggest saving a PDF copy on your phone. This (and registry programmes in the other sane states) is going to increasingly supplant the CDC card as proof of vaccination and is the next step toward vaccine passes/passports.

Meanwhile, my friend in L.A. was telling me that maskless indoor dining is open to the fully vaccinated but that vaccination levels in the county are peaking at 66%.

The general attitude there is becoming “screw anyone who refuses to get vaccinated”. While I agree with the sentiment when applied to the various anti-vaxxers and Covidiots and religious fundies, there are a lot of people who can’t get vaccinated for legitimate reasons and will suffer due to the county’s (and country’s) willful inability to reach herd immunity.

10 Likes

All of the get your vaccine here info adverts on the public roads keep getting torn down in and around San Bernardino County, no doubt by some well meaning reich-winger f@cking anti-vaxxer trump-idiot.
The human crop failure marches on…

6 Likes

I’m sorry Mr. Papasan you don’t seem to have one of the forms of ID listed in the legislation

No voting for you today, come back next year and try again

5 Likes

Are we forgetting that there’s a whole segment of the population (0-11 year olds) that is not vaccinated?

2 Likes

Voter registration and most public health actions (i.e. vaccine tracking) are state powers. That’s why the CDC could only “suggest” masks and individual state governors needed to require them, and there’s no national vaccine registry.

1 Like

So it’s a good idea, who’s time has come, while we are at it, let’s get that digital national voter registration.

My work here is done, again.

8 Likes

More like 2 minutes or less for us.

Pro tip: fill it out once with email and go back and fill out with cell phone so you will get it irregardless of which you registered with.

1 Like

Has anyone reverse engineered the info in the barcode? I presume it’s a standard barcode, so it should be easy enough to read the data. Is the certificate standalone, or will scanning it require querying a master database?

Rather, what’s to prevent someone from making a fake, like with vaccine cards? I guess like with bar code tickets, checking them against a master database isn’t too hard, but then there’s the whole issue with tracking people.

1 Like

It’s a large QR code, and not a URL, and so far nothing I have quick access to decodes it. Given it’s size, if I was doing this, this would be a copy of the text in the image, signed with a private key. That would let you make an app to scan the code and confirm it’s signed by the state and therefore trustworthy.

Amusingly, the first thing my wife said was “tracking”. It’s voluntary. It’s read-only. AND YOU ALREADY CARRY AROUND A CELLPHONE THAT SENDS YOUR LOCATION AT REGULAR INTERVALS TO YOUR CELL PROVIDER, WHO WILL HAPPILY SHARE IT WITH THE GOVERNMENT.

This isn’t for tracking. This is so that we can screen out the bozos who don’t believe in being vaccinated but do believe they’d like to come in and spread their filthy virus with others. Anything that makes it socially unacceptable to be an anti-science moron is ok in my book.

3 Likes

Followup - this is apparently a Smart Health Card - see SMART Health Card

4 Likes

Because elections are run at the state level, not federal.

1 Like

I got my vaccine card in plastic pouch, similar to what one would put an ID card in for work.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, taking voter registration away from the states would probably require a constitutional amendment.

It’s a standard. It’s a digitally signed blob of data about your name, DOB, and vaccine dose information. Can’t be (easily) forged. Does not require a centralized lookup.

https://smarthealth.cards/

Also, the Clear app (the one for skipping TSA at the airport) can load/decode the California QR code. You don’t need to be a paid member to do so.

1 Like

I’m selling my California vaccine NFT on auction, starting bid $100,000.

6 Likes

What keeps someone from using someone else’s barcode? Won’t people that scan the code need to verify the identity from the code?

My wife and I tried and neither of our info was in the database. We are both got vaxxed in SF. We started the appeal process for getting our info added, but I’m hearing from a lot of other people with the same experience. I wonder where they are getting the vaccinated names from and why it’s missing so many people in our area.

1 Like