California's bizarre license plates

Originally published at: California's bizarre license plates | Boing Boing

2 Likes

No, FTP means File Transfer Protocol.

17 Likes

I’m always getting FTP and ACAB mixed up…

8 Likes

I remember reading about one that was rejected: “IV SKIN”, which seems merely odd, until the DMV noticed that the applicant was a urologist and “IV” is a Roman numeral.

3 Likes

Me and the wife always have fun trying to decode personalized plates we come across as we’re driving, sometimes they’re easy sometimes not even Google can help.

I had a personal plate for about 20 years relating to my business.

A few years ago a state cop pulled me over but I had no idea why. She took her time getting out and approaching the vehicle. I figured she was doing a check on me.

Finally she approached but when I looked in the mirror her gun was drawn.

Uh ohs. I rolled down the window and said I’m not moving until she tells me what to do.

My plate came back as stolen. She checked all the paper work against the Vin went back and did some more checking and then let me go.

I called the state police and the Secretary of State (DMV) and no one could give me any information other than it was on some sort of federal list.

It happened again with a local cop.

I let the plate expire and never renewed.

7 Likes

Then there’s one of the few good plates I’ve seen - HIHOAG on a silver car…

8 Likes

Best I ever saw was a plate that read ILIAD - on a Honda Odyssey.

17 Likes

The bot also exists on Mastodon:

7 Likes

In Illinois we just get a yearly round up; one of our new Governor’s things to make government a bit more fun. Here’s the 2022 list, which I think is best explained by its own first line: “There will be no PEEPEE, SUKIT or DUCKYOU for Illinois drivers.”

2 Likes

Is that the SAP language I’ve been hearing about?

2 Likes

CA license plates also have allowed for some symbols like :raised_hand:, :star:, and :heart: which has led to some interesting choices…

One notorious one was something like “:raised_hand:THEKIDS”

2 Likes

I’m always getting ACAB and Abacab mixed up.

1 Like

All connections are binary?

1 Like

So…what was the plate?

1 Like

New Yorkers have a way with words:

1 Like

Yawn.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.