Can gluten-free bread transubstantiate?

Ah that bit went over my head. Good observation.

2 Likes

They are both food based traditions.

You aren’t required to eat the Eucharist. The number of people with such severe gluten allergies a small wafer will cause ill effects is extremely small. They are more likely to get more gluten from so called gluten free foods that still contain a small amount.

But anyway, no one is required to partake if they are allergic. Just like the many, many, many more recovering Catholic alcoholics don’t partake in the wine. Or the even more who don’t partake in the Eucharist because they didn’t go through confession or the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

1 Like

And in related Catholic news, just how many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin?

3 Likes

Would the Flying Rice Pasta Monster be acceptable for gluten free followers of FSM? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

I’m fairly certain he didn’t include a recipe. Many grains were used for breads in that region at that time besides wheat. (sorghum and teff were very popular for making fermented flat breads.)

Body of God Bread:
2 cups wheat
1 cup holy water
2 pinches dead sea salt
1 tbs divine woo woo

(kneed until it rises, wrap it around a stick in the sun and poke holes in it, then place it in a clay oven and close the opening with a stone. when the stone rolls aside you know it has risen again, and is ready to bake and eat. enjoy. also known as easter bread! it is very holy and wonderful anointed with olive oil.)

He was creating a ritual where bread represented his body and wine represented his blood. Anything more is inferred. he certainly didn’t hand out little pressed wafer pucks and tell the burly fishermen he was with to make sure it didn’t touch their teeth. lol. most of the “rules” around the practice are most certainly subject to being created and modified by the church. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

a transubstantial amount of Joules?

4 Likes

Score the loaf just under under 40 times, then place in a preheated oven. Remove and place on a wooden cooling rack. To test for doneness, use a holy lance (some chefs recommend a Longinus brand, but any old spear will do in a pinch) to pierce the side. If it comes out with blood and water, you know your bread is done!

5 Likes

As mentioned above, bridge too far man. Tho the FSM probably doesn’t care.

4 Likes

lol. modern western churches only assume it was a white bread, and they serve wafers which don’t have any jesus crust, which is the most important part. i think the original bread was a lot darker and less refined then most imagine.

3 Likes

I would think they’d at least throw in some flax, but from the make-a-dungeon-master-horny level of rules, Catholicism seems to have been created out of the most obsessive members rising through the ranks, and one of them probably had a texture issues…

2 Likes

Yes, one must be free of sin to take the Eucharistic, but it is required once a year on Easter. It is a sin to fail to take the Eucharist then, or to fail to go to confession if needed before hand.

It is highly encouraged to do so on other holy days of obligation when attending mass is mandatory anyway. In school I was always taught to treat it as required.

Edit:. Although yes like with wine and alcoholism, a medical condition will excuse you from it being a sin. That is generally how thos things have gone.

1 Like

I see what you did there.

@ninjustin He bestows many and varied gifts upon His faithful.

@Aquaman5K None. The whole concept is grounded in Aristotelian metaphysics, in which form and matter, or substance and essence, are distinct. Transubstantiation is taken to be epiphenomenal to chemistry and physics. Ditto, souls. The whole concept probably seemed a lot more important before modern science.

1 Like

As others have stated here–it was a Passover meal. The ritual for Passover was pretty well fixed by that time. It required unleavened wheaten bread. This pre-existed the Church. Yes, may other parts of the ritual came from the Church but that part did not.

2 Likes

Passover as a ritual came completely from the church, not the catholic church, but the temples of the day. It is still a wholly man constructed ritual. Any assumption that the bread from the last supper was wheat is just that, it certainly wasn’t something that christians claim jesus specified as important to the new ritual he was establishing in place of passover. in fact he was adamant about doing away with the old rules like these, including shellfish and pork restrictions. All of the rules around the ritual are wholly man made.

“Because God the Almighty, Omnipotent creator of the universe can’t perform magic without the right material components. It says here right in the Player’s Manual.” It’s like the universe was created as a role playing game, and the Church are a bunch of rules lawyers…

Edited to add… What a terrible rules system. Contradictory, no index, and the version wars are even more brutal than D+D or Traveller.

7 Likes

surely you meant holy man made?

6 Likes

Of course if you don’t believe in the Christian scriptures it is all man-made ritual but if you do believe (which Catholics do) it is divinely ordained. The book of Exodus quotes God as saying that the Passover bread must be made of unleavened wheaten flour. If you go back to the early Church fathers you will see that Christians have believed this for centuries. It was unclear to the early Christians whether or not the laws of Kosher applied to them. Surely, if Jesus was adamant about doing away with them the Apostles would’ve known it. Instead the book of Acts records the controversy over coming to that conclusion.

Sure as hell ain’t whatever they use for the eucharist, that stuff tastes like shit!

(I suppose nobody ever bothered to find out what part of the body it becomes?)

3 Likes

Hold the heel firmly.

1 Like

You know, I can’t find that citation.

All the unleavened stuff seems to include ritual sacrifice (around Aaron and sons), and the part about passover just seems to say “unleavened bread”. Please illuminate. I may have missed it.

2 Likes