Canada man surprised to find moose in his swimming pool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/02/canada-man-surprised-to-find-m.html

7 Likes

Canada man surprised to find moose in his swimming pool

Because he was expecting the moose to show up the day before? Canada.

4 Likes

To a moose? That’s nothing. People really don’t get just how massive those creatures are.

7 Likes

and the next day, there was a bear in the west end:

ETA: a month ago, there was a bear downtown:

2 Likes

Cindy Blackstock tweeted a while back a diagram to show social distancing. I’m pretty sure it showed that 1 moose length was six feet.

But there was also avivideo, I think last summer, of a moose lying on a lawn, taking in the sprinkler.

Animals like to cool down. In the summer, Pokey expects to go for a daily dip in the pond at the park.

3 Likes

Why would anyone want to own a pool in Ottawa? You have like 5 minutes of summer.

7 Likes

#delightfulcreatures

1 Like

He’s Canadian, from a region where there are moose and he has seen this one with his own eyes. I think it’s fair to say he probably realises what size they are.

I am Canadian and have also seen a moose. Being five feet tall, I think it’s safe to say that I have the perspective to know what I am talking about, too.

8 Likes

I really needed a moose chaser this week, so thank you for this.

(And can we please not bicker on a post about a moose in a swimming pool? There’s enough going on.)

3 Likes

I swear I have seen more pools in the greater Ottawa area than in any other part of Ontario or Quebec. It makes no sense to me. My guess is that many people have gov’t related jobs with too much take home pay and an obsessive need to one up the neighbours. It can’t be because of the weather, because the seasons are winter or eaten alive by bugs.

2 Likes

Fun fact: the moose in the sprinkler vid was filmed a few blocks from me!

You do you, Mr. Moose.

2 Likes

Backyard pools are pretty common in Montreal, if not Quebec overall.

One time I went to a yard sale in a backyard, and tge moment I stepped through the gate, the humidity went up. Most of the yard was filked with an above ground pool.

There was a story the other day here that demand for new pools has gone up, it will get hot but safer to swim at home than at a public pool.

Yes, the hot weather is a fairly small period of the year, but people want to make use of it. Shorts and tank tops show up almost as soon as a hint of warm weather, and soon the terrasses are up, people wanting to be out. So it’s a short, but intense, period.

1 Like

That barely qualifies as a “hop” for an adult moose.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised too. “Wait, what? I have a pool?”

1 Like

They’re getting more common in cottage country too, usually within spitting distance of a perfectly good lake. But lakes, especially larger ones, offer very few good swimming days, especially if you’re at all sensitive to cold.

Many are just two or three weeks past having ice cover, and won’t be comfortable for another couple of weeks yet, if we get some more hot weather. So you get, essentially, July and August to swim in the lake. A heated pool can add three or four months to swimming season. Or ten if it’s indoor.

Scale representation of @MalevolentPixy interacting with local wildlife:

3 Likes

Having owned a pool, might I suggest you expand this question to anyone and everyone on the planet? Pools are the worst!

As a previous pool owner, all I could think was “Well, call the liner guy…”

We had a bear in our “downtown core” last month. Bears in Central Ontario don’t often come near our town so it made the news. Deer and smaller fauna are very common. Our pool used to attract ducks, too. Out boarder collie loved to herd them back and forth.

I for one am happy that aminals visit us.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.