Canadian officials caution against letting moose do this to your car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/23/canadian-officials-caution-against-letting-moose-do-this-to-your-car.html

6 Likes

I wonder how many people drive by and miss the “DO NOT LET MOOSE” part of the message and just catch “LICK YOUR CAR” and are like…ok…

19 Likes

Damn that’s a click baitey title

8 Likes

Jasper, an alpine town in Canada’s Alberta province

Henceforth to be known as Canada’s own Salt Lick City.

(I’ll get my coat.)

16 Likes

I once waxed my car and then left it parked in a pasture for a few hours. Came back to find the cows licking off the tasty wax.

7 Likes

Let’s ask Mr. Moose…

3 Likes

11 Likes

Don’t “let” a moose lick your car? Moose do pretty much whatever they want

14 Likes

Yeah, when I’ve had cows licking my car, I’ve scared them off. If a moose were licking my car I’d wait it out inside my house.

4 Likes

There have been a few times I’ve encountered moose while camping. Once just north of Mt. Mansfield in VT we approached a lean-to shelter and my friend’s dog spooked a moose that was behind the shelter. It was a jolt to see this thing rush out from nowhere and gallop down the trail, it was so tall you could almost walk underneath it. Those shelters are known for attracting animals that seek salt-- sweaty hikers sit down on the wooden platforms and at night porcupines come out to chew the wood. God forbid you should leave your boots out at night, you’ll awaken to nothing but rubber soles.

5 Likes

There goes my plan to migrate to Canada and open an all-natural, fully organic car wash staffed entirely by lick-happy moose.

8 Likes

4 Likes

When bureaucrats go out of their way to give you strange instructions, it’s always a reaction to some even stranger thing that actually happened. I would bet they’ve had a few tourists who excitedly stopped to let moose lick their car while asking their spouse to, like, get a selfid right up in the moose’s grill

5 Likes

Moose are dangerous, I can’t imagine trying to get a moose away from my car.

Also, ‘Canada’s Alberta Province’ is a very bizarre way to say it. Province of Alberta, or Canada’s province of Alberta.

1 Like

Mostly we just say Alberta.

5 Likes

Jerry Seinfeld had a bit about traffic signs needing punctuation.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely a common theme in Alaska. “Sorry, I’ll be late to work, there’s a moose between my and my car.” Also had the occasional elk in Colorado be unimpressed with my clapping and yelling while they were smearing their snotty noses all over my car.

2 Likes

I"d hate to mess with the natural order of things but in this case since it’s already f’d up… What if they left salt lick blocks quite a ways in from the road? Moose will find them. Salt is really bad for soil and the life that breaks it down, but in a consistent place, elevated with a deep/narrow drainage in case of rain, maybe?

2 Likes

Fortunately, moose don’t inhabit tropical climes, where they would lick the salty skins of sweaty beach-goers.

3 Likes

I didn’t know about sweaty hikers, but since moving to my current place, I’ve seen porcupines at night gnawing on our deck stairs, mainly in winter. I think it’s because we sometimes use salt when it’s really icy.
I tried leaving other boards out for them, but they seem to prefer the fixed variety, hands-free gnawing, I guess.

4 Likes