Canadian Parliament approves final bill to legalize cannabis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/20/canadian-parliament-approves-f.html

5 Likes

I’d be ecstatic, but all my emotions are tied up with the whole US government kidnapping children thing. curtailing the drug war is undeniably a step in the right direction, and this is a really significant event, but jesus does this ever feel like the smallest of footnotes today

8 Likes

The most important piece of information: retail sales are expected to begin 2-3 months after the bill gets royal assent.

1 Like

Youuppie!

1 Like

Agreed, but the BB masthead members are especially fond of their weed as well, so they would never overlook this.

1 Like

I don’t begrudge them posting it. This is news. Legit, significant, good news. Actual human lives will be made better by this

I was just expecting to feel something more positive when the day itself came

6 Likes

Fingers crossed that everyone, incarcerated and not, will be pardoned with a clean record for all cannabis related charges.

5 Likes

Don’t hold your breath. Canada’s liberal party is happy to do something that won’t cost the government any money (or in this case, will actually make them money). But it’s easier to move heaven and earth than to get them to commit to doing something that will carry a cost. Expunging criminal records requires time and effort on the part of the legal system. So it’s probably not going to happen.

2 Likes

Yup. Fully aware. Canuck over here. The (Not My) Prime Minister just became an oil tycoon buying up the pipeline. Doesn’t mean a gal can’t wish and hope for some good.

1 Like

That’s fair. And a very suitable thing for Eeyore to say.

2 Likes

Probably cheaper than maintaining a law enforcement relationship with these people, not to mention lost productivity in the Canadian economy due to the burdens of carrying such penalties for a victimless crime.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s about fucking time. I and my fellow Canadian citizens have been eagerly anticipating this day since - oh - I dunno. What year is it?

damn that’s good weed

5 Likes

Jeff Sessions just shit himself.

9 Likes

Good shit.

3 Likes

Aren’t all drugs legal in Portugal? Or are they merely decriminalized?

1 Like

Cannadabis. You’re welcome.

1 Like

A follow up story a bit later in the day says October 17th will be the first day of legal grass.

So at midnight, as Tuesday turns into Wednesday, all across the nation there will be a screech from many a radio station as they pull the needle across the record that’s playing and suddenly Quicksilver Messenger Service’s “Fresh Air” will be heard. And that will segue into 24 hours of songs related to the topic.

But what will that music mean when the stuff us legal? Will “Outside a Small Circle of Friends” no longer be relevant, or seen as a reminder of the dark period? What about Ringo’s song, claiming he doesn’t smoke it? What about David Peel’s output? Suddenly do Cheech and Chong stop being funny? Twenty years ago Martha Chavez had a joke about fine print on frozen brownies, I can’t remember the actual joke. But the jokes will change, as will the warnings, nothing about the effects, unless you’re a minor, or driving, but about the munchies or driving while under the influence. What happens when visitors go back to their country?

It’s been 46 years since I could have, but never have. The day it becomes legal here is the week before my 59th birthday. I guess there will be special brownies, not that all brownies aren’t special

Of course, some provinces don’t want home growing. I knew someone in 1972 who grew it in a closet, then a decade later someone who claimed he got more out of growing it and processing it than smoking it. And no chance to see if Mountain Girl was an expert on growing it

2 Likes

Decriminalized, since 2001. The first country to legalize cannabis was Uruguay, in 2013. The results aren’t known, since no one has heard from Uruguay in a while.

3 Likes

Dude. That’s deep. :wink:

Wait: I’m 61. When were Cheech and Chong funny? I’ve actually seen Cheech be funny on occasion, and I’ve seen Chong be funny, but as a team, when were they funny?