Canadian Parliament cancels plan to legalize drunk canoeing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/16/means-of-muscular-power.html

3 Likes

Meanwhile Budweiser is still legal in Canada in spite of it being like sex in a canoe.

17 Likes

Wait a sec… sober people go out in canoes?

16 Likes

I understand drunk boating is every bit as dangerous as drunk driving, but far more legal.

3 Likes

How about a pedalo?
What is the pedalo takes the form of a swan?!

4 Likes

That it isn’t, is the point.

4 Likes

Um, Cory… the first paragraph makes no sense at all.

2 Likes

I’m canoeing right now.

10 Likes

Hunting?

8 Likes

I was going to say, the canoe trips I have been on drinking was required…

6 Likes

(FYI Bracing, not drunk. :wink: )

5 Likes

while drunk. You missed a bit. I doubt that just operating a kayak (or rowboat, or pedalo) is presently illegal, or Canadian liberalism is totally not what I imagined it to be.

1 Like

Bracing for what? Shots?

2 Likes

It is illegal, and carries penalties like drivers license suspension. Which will prevent one from driving, but not from canoeing, since operating a canoe does not require a license.

An article from before the plan was cancelled:

2 Likes

Wait a minute. You mean to say the penalty for drunk canoeing wasn’t a fine or a night in jail, but losing your auto license? That seems like a minor detail left out of the headline. As it is, it sounds like Canadian Parliament cancels plan to legalize drunk canoeing.

5 Likes

That’s a kayak /pedant

Edit on closer look that may well be a canoe of sorts… stupid tiny phone screen.

3 Likes

Indeed it is.

The legislation was to cover water craft “propelled exclusively by means of muscular power” Canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, etc…

2 Likes

But are you drunk? (Doh! Silly question.)

2 Likes

Proposed Canadian legislation to legalise operating watercraft “propelled exclusively by means of muscular power”

That makes perfect sense: it implies that is currently illegal to operate any watercraft that is powered by personal effort, i.e. not engine powered.

2 Likes

Um, yeah… drunk or sober. No muscle powered craft ever. None for you, and none for you, and not any for you over there either.

I think that our kayaks are Canadian. They must be made exclusively for export.

2 Likes