Canadian Parliament cancels plan to legalize drunk canoeing

Not half as dangerous as drunk motorboating. On water. In a speedboat. Get you’re mind out of the gutter, people!

4 Likes

surfing while on mushrooms, that’s still ok, right?

3 Likes

Designated paddler?

Yes, you can lose your driving license, and have your car impounded. And the parliament did not plan to legalize it, only to remove the drunk driving charge - the charge for being intoxicated in public would still apply.

Flat out ridiculous. I spent half the summer drinking in a kayak on the Russian River in California, and the majority of everyone else on that river was drinking as well. Sure Canada has national health care and your leader isn’t a senile orangutan, but this nonsense pretty much cancels all that out, doesn’t it?

Does this mean I can’t drunk heely?

Here in Australia an open canoe is always called a Canadian Canoe. Are they called that in Canada?

1 Like

Canadian Canoeing is a doobie burning poorly. :smiley:

2 Likes

No, there are no “Canadian canoes” in Canada, just canoes.

Also, there is no “ice hockey” in Canada, just hockey. This is a great way to spot Americans trying to pass for 'nucks.

Like the “in bed” thing for fortune cookies, it works for many things.

You will find great happiness … while drunk!
From hell’s heart, I stab at thee … while drunk!
To Infinity and Beyond … while drunk!

3 Likes

Ice hockey i imagine would be useful to say if a particular area sees both street hockey and ice hockey, or if a group of people happen to be involved with both in some capacity. Just like American Football, Americans just call it football but depending on the context someone might need to say American Football, i know i’ve had to a few times in the past but generally its not something that comes up (coincidentally this exact same thing did come up yesterday and a co-worker clarified himself saying American Football).

Car!

1 Like

Sure, there can be circumstances where the “ice” is needed for clarity, but IMO they’ve exceptionally rare when Canadians are talking amongst themselves. I stand by my point that essentially no Canadian says “ice hockey” unless they really, really need to… and most of the time, they’ll just put a modifier on the “other” hockey in question (street, ball, roller, sledge, field, etc.).

1 Like

That sounds uncannily like a No True Scottsman argument if you keep moving the goalposts that no TRUE Canadian would dare say Ice Hockey. Mind you i’m not disagreeing with you which i think is where we’re not seeing eye to eye, i’m just bringing up that there are clear examples of someone needing to say Ice Hockey. Even if those instances are not necessarily common, and even then it might very well be common for people who practice more than one version of hockey.

I don’t think I’m moving the goalposts. I made a blanket statement that “ice hockey” is non-existent in Canada, then allowed that OK, there might be some exceptionally rare circumstances where it’s needed for clarity – even though I’m having a hard time thinking of any that aren’t thoroughly contrived, and can’t remember the last time I heard a native Canadian English speaker utter that term. (I’ve certainly heard it from the mouths of Canadians born and raised elsewhere, who are of course true Canadians, so I was definitely sloppy with my terms in that sense.)

A more realistic version of your hypothetical situation – someone who plays or watches more than one type of hockey – would have the person adding a qualifier to the non-default form. Because when a Canadian says hockey, the first and usually correct assumption is that they mean ice hockey. So in those relatively rare cases when that’s not what they mean, they’re going to clear things up by saying field hockey or whatever.

Now, about those drunk canoeists… are they off the hook if they exit the lake and go down the river, so that their vessel is now propelled partly by gravity, and no longer exclusively by muscle power?

Ah, the french fur trappers! I love that sketch!

2 Likes

Important documentary on Canoeing in Canada. It will help everyone understand what it’s all about.

1 Like

As an American who lives within driving and broadcast distance a “hockey town” I have to argue that while some Americans might refer to it as “ice hockey” it certainly isn’t a universal thing.

1 Like

I can’t even stay up on a paddle board SOBER, I can’t imagine trying to while drunk

2 Likes

I can see how I implied it might be, but I didn’t mean to. Sorry.

I should probably aim for greater accuracy and clarity in my off-hand quips in the future. Too many issues with this one. :wink:

1 Like