Candidate Marianne Williamson's loses 6 staffers — including her South Carolina team who all quit

Originally published at: Candidate Marianne Williamson's loses 6 staffers — including her South Carolina team who all quit | Boing Boing

2 Likes

While MW clearly hasn’t a snowball’s chance in hell in securing the Democratic Party nomination, I have to say that I really appreciate her perspective. I’d love to see her debate Biden and whomever else is trotted out.

2 Likes

She’s a woo-peddling self-help author with zero experience in public service. No thank you.

26 Likes

“If you’re just thinking about New Hampshire and South Carolina, then this is a grift,” the person said about Williamson, who happens to (ahem) have a new book coming out by the end of summer.

No wonder she was outraged. How dare anyone suggest that this New Age snake oil peddler is engaging in a grift?!

14 Likes

In a world where there are plenty of people with lots of political experience who talk about BS and refuse to engage in good-faith political discourse, at least acknowledge that it’s possible that a person can be a woo-peddler with no political experience, but have valid ideas about serious issues that helps focus the dialog on real policies for important problems.

4 Likes

That doesn’t mean she deserves a platform or a place on the debate stage alongside serious people. The same goes for RFK Jr. It’s disastrous enough that the GOP allows charlatans that opportunity. Dems can do better.

22 Likes

To date the United States of America has had exactly one President who had no prior record of public service, and that went about as well as anyone might have expected.

If she isn’t a serious candidate for President then she doesn’t deserve a place on a Presidential debate stage. There are plenty of other forums for her to promote her ideas.

20 Likes

Not at all. Woo peddling undermines credibility and ethics. Its a non-starter

23 Likes

She probably uses infomercials and spam e-mail for that.

3 Likes

Incumbent parties in presidential races almost never do.

17 Likes

Where the hell do we manage to keep ginning up enthusiasm for every damned crank candidate? There’s too much energy wasted on deeply unserious people.
We’ve already experienced it when we let jokes get out of hand and into office.

15 Likes

No incumbent President has debated a primary challenger since Gerald Ford, and Ford probably wouldn’t have done it either if not for the fact that he was the only US President in history who attained the office without being elected to either POTUS or VP and thus pretty much owed the public at least one good debate.

23 Likes

Animated GIF

7 Likes

She’s not running for office. She’s running to sell books and raise her profile for infomercials and seminars. Even if one agrees with some of her ideas (and I do), there is zero reason to put her on a stage with serious candidates who have some expertise in public governance. Let her run for school board or county commissioner and deal with real local issues in a serious way and get something done. Then maybe she deserves a national forum. Until then, go away.

14 Likes

Her platform is pretty standard progressive policy (universal healthcare, tax the rich, etc.). I’m all for it, but none of that sets her apart from really any other progressive Democrat.

7 Likes

Nope. That’s an automatic disqualifier when we live in a world that has apparently learned nothing from the COVID pandemic. We need leaders who base decisions in the real world for when we face the next pandemic, which will happen, and probably soon.

10 Likes

journey of allen strange nicksplat GIF

6 Likes

Who?

Oh.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree.

Since you bring up COVID, are you insinuating that MW is an anti-vaxxer?
If so, you should check your facts. She’s not an anti-vaxxer. Pandemic & Long Covid Response Policy | Marianne 2024

1 Like
8 Likes