Capitol police officer explains to Congress why the pro-Trump rioters are terrorists

It’s playing chess with a pigeon, with the expected shitting and strutting. And somehow there’s a lot of people cheering for the pigeon.

14 Likes

Same here @Franko. They were telling it like it is.

3 Likes
7 Likes

He then emphasized the point by adding “duh.”

5 Likes

For sure. Also be prepared for the conservatives to label any civil unrest by BLM to as terrorism based on the definition cited in this testimony.

9 Likes

I don’t think most people in the USA have fully grasped how closely we came to seeing executions of Senators and members of Congress on livestreams. The terrorists were literally minutes away from achieving their goal were it not for the police who held the line. If the leaders of this attempted coup are not brought to justice they WILL try again. Count on it.

18 Likes

Would be nice to hear evidence of this presented in open court.

Remember Lin " get the firing squads ready" Woods??

13 Likes

Agreed, that was quite the vague definition, even if fitting in this case. In general, I find some of the arguing over tactics to be a distraction from the substance around Jan 6. My mental hitch is that there are absolutely legitimate causes for which government action and votes should be interrupted. An illegitimate or actually tyrannical government should be stopped.

To be perfectly clear, cheering lustily as you drag unconscious cops down the steps of the capital and literally smashing windows to seize individual politicians is truly fucking wild and terrifying. But more generally speaking, using aggressive protest to cause the process of government to grind to a halt should be on the table, but the cause had better be just. Voting for unlimited global war, allowing the systematic oppression and murder of Black people and protecting fascist police from accountability, deliberately and systematically denying voting access, etc…

I know this is to some degree weird concern tr0lling, and I agree with everyone here that step one is that press and government officials need to recognize that this was an extremely serious and violent insurrection attempt (even if the cause had been just.) But I would want step 2 to be “and for what? For this fucking dime store grifter? for white supremacy? to stop the green new deal?” or even better to focus on the fact that the whole shebang was based on feverish lies fed by the right wing media, and wasn’t actually about anything real.

But I guess we do have to do step one first…

5 Likes

Sadly, these four men will be doxxed, harrassed and pursued by RWNJ’s for the foreseeable future. I admire their courage, as they have to know this would be the outcome.

15 Likes

The cult of Donald Trump is incredibly devoted. Hopefully we will be able to look at it objectively and take measures to prevent such a thing from repeating itself in the future.

5 Likes

They already did. The “terrorists” moniker was used by Faux News and GQP pols as soon as the first BLM protests happened.

Note also that an analysis has been published that the violence of the BLM protests was predominantly caused by the police response and not for the most part by the protesters. Can’t say that about the 1/6 insurrection.

11 Likes

That never happened, obvious troll.

What did happen was that DJT incited a crowd of his bigoted supporters to come to DC on 1/6/21, where he then told them to “walk down to the Capitol building and fight.”

23 Likes

Pull your pants up, sunshine, your racist ass is showing.

15 Likes

Do you want to talk about BLM? About Maxine Waters? There are threads for that. This isn’t one of them.
Seriously,

ETA: this was in response to the same post @Melizmatic quoted above. Since gobbled, and rightly so.

15 Likes

I mean, we could talk about how most BLM protests were peaceful, except in cases where law enforcement attacked them unprovoked, and how that shows the disparity in how POC exercising their first amendment rights are treated compared to White rioters and insurrectionists intent upon overturning the government - that’s actually relevant to the conversation.

17 Likes

Yep. I know this will all get gobbled, but we could also illustrate the disparity in police preparation for a peaceful BLM protest in the Capitol:

As compared to the anticipated violent event on the 6th.
We could also talk about how BLM protestors are literally fighting for their lives, while Jan. 6 asshats were fighting for their lies.
:woman_shrugging:t2:

16 Likes

Yes, the police still prepare for BLM protests like they are going to war in Iraq; meanwhile, when rioters threatening to hang Mike Pence showed up, they had prepped like it was going to be a non-violent demonstration.

Odd how that happened…

No one here cares what you think; go back to Party City Newsmaxx where you belong.

13 Likes

I mean, it was almost more like they’d prepped to take a bike ride through a “rough, but up and coming” part of town.
No shade on the officers themselves, but in all the videos from the outer parts of the property, that was the impression.

But to reiterate: these officers speaking up are heroes. I hope they can get some justice, for us all.

9 Likes

No, that decision came from the people in charge of the officers - I recall reading reports that they were understaffed and unprepared because TPTB had ordered it so.

13 Likes