Capitol rioter going for plea bargain says she's since "learned" by watching Schindler's List and reading Just Mercy

Recent reports are that she has now had time to watch “The Fugitive”, and now understands the one armed man is behind everything.

1 Like

That is absolutely not what I was saying and anyone who read my comment who had issues of understanding my intent I would be happy to respond. I thought it was pretty clear, but happy to address any misinterpretations.

I was wanting to enter into a conversation around the representation of ‘the right wing’.

Commenters were talking in absolute terms that this is an inherently “evil” person.

I was commenting directly on the subject (Capitol Rioter) watching Schindlers List and found something to think about around the representation of Nazis - all are bad evil people, as if none were forced to betray their humanity by fear and force.

I get the strong emotion and the ALL CAPS response.

Not defending this person was just concerned that the conversation became so insular as the topic deserves some consideration.

I don’t believe my comment was irrelevant to the discussion at hand. It was about the threads myopic focus on the individual and therefore raising this person up as the scapegoat of all ‘evil on the right’. , made bigger in ‘our’ imagination than she deserves to be.

It was that simple, nothing more or less.

What’s being discussed here is the behaviour and statements of a member of “the right wing”, and the system that makes way too many allowances for them.

You still haven’t provided any quotes to the effect. A quick search of this topic shows that the word “evil” is used only by you.

It’s emotion grounded in facts. The frustrated ALL CAPS is, I’m sure, for the benefit of readers who seem to be intent on missing or distracting from those facts.

10 Likes

It’s like some people choose to actively ignore the WHITE PRIVILEGE that is the crux of the problem here.

Whether ‘Nazis were all evil’ is beside the fucking point, which is mainly that if anyone who wasn’t White had behaved the way the insurrectionists did on 1/6, they’d have likely have been shot on sight, rather being handled with kid gloves and given so much lenience.

9 Likes

Exactly. Oskar Schindler, for example was a member of the Nazi Party for baldly opportunistic reasons. He didn’t make any excuses for or deny belonging to that criminal organsation, he did his best to make up for it – which for him meant a lot more (and involved a lot more risk) than claiming on the advice of his lawyer that he watched a movie and read a couple of books.

And if the lesson one takes from watching Schindler’s List is “spare some sympathy for poor Amon Goeth, forced to betray his own humanity by fear” then one probably wasn’t paying attention.

7 Likes

If she truly had a epiphany, then she should appreciate the kind of jail-time that would make her new found knowledge stick.

4 Likes

Which brings us to this (assuming it hadn’t been posted on BB):

6 Likes

Then FFS, start a new god damn thread!

Dude. I am fucking angry, yes. I am angry that I and lots of others here are no longer considered to be a human being by some large number of my fellow countrymen. JFC.

5 Likes

I re-read the thread and I can’t understand this characterization.

As for “myopic” focus on the individual in the thread in general: A post connects this to historical events in pre-Nazi Germany and cautions against light sentences because they don’t stop the overall movement. Multiple posts discuss people living in closed information systems (Fox News, etc.) in the US and whether exposure to outside ideas really could cause dramatic change in them. There’s a post I don’t entirely understand about how to apply restorative justice to this situation. Lots of posts focus on societal conditions and historic parallels, not on the individual.

As for “scapegoating” no one suggests that Morgan-Lloyd be punished for anything other then the crimes Morgan-Lloyd committed, or that somehow this punishment should be a stand-in for others who aren’t being punished. Those of us who talk about the sentence being ridiculously light (as I think it is) focus comments on the actions of Morgan-Lloyd, not on political beliefs.

Several people outright disbelieve Morgan-Lloyd’s contrition - I don’t think that’s making anyone “bigger in our imagination”.

I just don’t think the thread in your mind is much like the one that is actually here on the board.

7 Likes

A glance at a citation index will easily disprove Goat’s hypothesis.

Perhaps the judge can get creative with her “community service” requirements. One possibility:

• A year’s worth of cleaning the bathrooms at the Holocaust Museum;

• With a toothbrush;

• Live-streamed on Youtube.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.