Car color preferences around the world

You’re cool, green is cool therefore your cars were green…simple as that.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it sucks when you’re red-green colorblind and have to rely on other people to tell you what color your car is.

2 Likes

I miss my Solar Yellow Nissan Frontier

And my Yellow Toyota Celica

I’ve had Blue and Black and Green and Grey cars…currently driving my Gold-ish Fnord FISO …but I want another Yellow vehicle.

1 Like

People can! That’s what paint is for.

Real colors seem to have been vanishing from the American market for many years in favor of shades of gray. My 1st car was a 68 Valiant in purplish brown, 2nd a 70 Nova in mint green. A few years back we were excited to buy our 1st ever brand new car in a color, a red Soul, but they weren’t available and we settled for gray. Sigh.

2 Likes

The best part is the key at the top, where you learn that the white arcs represent white cars, the green arcs represent green cars, and so on.

1 Like

The only preference my wife and I specified when we recently bought a car was ‘we want the cheapest one on the lot’ and it was white.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting color palette of cars and they’re for sale:

1 Like

I have to say that I have never understood people who deliberately buy white cars. It just seems so boring, but I know that is matter of my own personal taste. I drove one for a while that was nearly white, “iceberg blue” actually. But I did not get to choose the color, I was just lucky to get the car at all.
These days, I do have a red convertible, but most of the cars are shades of green. Or green and tan.

1 Like

I’d help you with the color as long as you can help me with the “is it leaking fluids?” smell-test.

3 Likes

My preferred car colors don’t seem to match my favorite colors. I normally hate yellow, but I used to have a Lightning Yellow Mitsubishi Lancer and it was a great car color. (In Japan it’s “Sunflower Yellow” which makes much more sense, but in the US market you can’t name things after flowers because it might magically make someone’s son gay, I suppose. :rolling_eyes:)

When I went Prius shopping I wanted one in green, because duh. I got red because I had a choice of red, black, or pay $1000 more at another dealership for the nifty orange.

4 Likes

I’m surprised they’re so popular. They’re not just boring; they look dirty all the time.

4 Likes

Actually in the US yellow is often referred to as “Pussy-Magnet Yellow” aka PMY by car guys to make it seem even more masculine. In high school I drove a Volvo 240 that was what I called Pleasant Muted Yellow.

I liked that car a lot, but my dream car color is more of a sky blue;

Of course, it has to be on the right car…

They’re cooler. (like less warm in the sun rather than :sunglasses: cool.)

Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

4 Likes

Beat me to it by that much!

3 Likes

Wonder if this takes into account commercial fleet vehicles, which are almost all sold plain white. Businesses can paint or wrap them with their own branding, but many don’t bother.

4 Likes

My Dad always said that white was the least likely to show sun damage and scratches. That it was a sensible color. But of course, he would never personally own a white car. Or any sort of boring, regular looking car.

Yeah, that’s why the cheapest cars at the dealership are white; they’re generally specced for fleet sales. Time was, they’d frequently come with vinyl upholstery, rubber floor mats, radio delete, and no A/C. I learned to drive in a white '74 Renault 12 wagon, which we discovered was not actually all that white the first time we parked it in snow. It was definitely cheap. Black vinyl interior (hotter than hell in the SoCal summer sun), no a/c, AM radio, 4 speed stick, and a super badass 63hp four-banger. The only other white car in my family history was a white '93 Chevy Caprice wagon that I bought in 2007 to serve as an engine/transmission donor for an '87 Jaguar. Soon as the guts came out of that white whale, it was on the towhook to the junkyard.

This was my first thought.

I guess that counts as Blue.

6 Likes