Car color preferences around the world

That’s a missed opportunity.

2 Likes

If I ever have to move back to a desert, I’ll trade in my (Currently grey) for a white whatever with the lightest color interior possible. I have driven dark colored vehicles in the desert and while it’s interesting being able to sous vide and make your own fruit leather in your car, it gets old fast. That 10-15 degree temp difference really helps.

OTOH, if I could get a bright red roof and everything else whatever, I’d take it. Avalanches and blizzards aren’t a daily thing, but they are a thing.

6 Likes
1 Like

I’m guessing that’s because Asians (except for the Japanese) are less interested in cars.

Let’s see…

Originally black, blue after I crashed it:

Gofasta Red:

White with blue trim:

Kinda purplish:

Blue:

Silver:

Yellow:

Silver again:

And the only car I ever owned:

8 Likes

All my personal owned car’s where white. It’s nearly haunting me, because I don’t mind color.

The firsts, coincidence, because second-, third-, whatever hand, dirt cheap. But probably able to drive for a while.
One, an old-timer I really wanted for a long time and could buy for a friendly price, I was not complaining about the color and it had a nice interior.
Latest, new bought car. Went like this at the dealer: “Pardon me? How much more to have one in color??” … Wait… leave it, lets add one other to the row of white. Lets make it a boring tradition.

(Edit: I rented quite recently two cars in the US, and they where white. Pretty sure I saw other colours at the parking lots. So…)

6 Likes

there was a time I would’ve loved a red car, but nowadays most of my vehicles are green and white

4 Likes

My grandfather, after considerable thought and experimenting, decided that the best automotive paint job was silvery green (or green metallic flake) on the body with a gloss white roof. He had all his cars painted that way, typically buying them factory green and repainting the roof right away.

Mind you, this was when air conditioning was expensive and unreliable. But I’ve owned about 12 cars and the green/white V8 Buick I inherited from Grandpa did have the best solar absorbtion​ characteristics!

3 Likes

4 Likes

My family was a Volvo family for a long time. My dad had a P1800 (black) when he was younger that was a rocket. After that it was all 240 DLs even as they got boxier and the quality kind of fell off. A '71 (maroon) for grandma, a '72 (gold) for mom, an '86 (blue) for mom, an '84 (also blue) for me. Those last two were constantly having water pump and electrical issues. Mine would just shut off at random, power steering and all, which is disconcerting when you’re going 70+ down the highway and there’s a semi right behind you.

1 Like

I think I remember having the same problem - IIRC it was an issue with the ignition wiring.

My grandfather, most likely without any consideration at all, always held that the best automotive paint job was a can of whatever was cheapest at the hardware store.

He usually ended up with some variety of matt-grey primer. Applied with a handbrush.

Under the paint, it was one of these from the late '60’s:

He was a mechanic, but he learnt his trade fixing tanks at Tobruk. Not a lot of time for functionless aesthetics.

3 Likes

White cars, so boring!

:wink:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.