Car launches into the air and embeds itself into building's second floor, everyone ok!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/16/car-launches-into-the-air-and.html

4 Likes

Looking at the security video it looks like the car missed hitting a car and then launching itself into a city bus by less than a second

1 Like

Bus driver is all “ain’t got time for this shit!”

4 Likes

Honey, I’m home.

8 Likes

I knew there was a purpose for 20" rims on an Altima. Now I know what they are good for. Altitude!

6 Likes

Imagine if they had put a big spoiler on that car

8 Likes

I know, what amazing luck - it could have been so much worse!

While that’s impressive, I think the Ford Pinto still holds the record for highest vertical gain in a car…

13 Likes

Woah. It’s a fairly near miss with the bus, too!

1 Like

He must have heard the new Lego Boba Fetts were on the shelves and freaked out.

When he got out he was like, “Aristocrats!”

2 Likes

From the bus’ camera:

6 Likes

Just some good ol’ boys. Never meanin’ no harm.

8 Likes

When I first saw this I wondered how they’d get the car out of the building. I was imagining a standard tow truck driver standing there staring at the situation helplessly. Now I know that the LAFD has a truck seemingly designed especially for this exact situation.

1 Like

Altima-tude!

3 Likes

That’s a bus full of some very lucky people. Damn.

Thank you! Added that to the post.

2 Likes

That was damn close, definitely would’ve hit the bus had it been a second faster. Glad everyone was ok.

1 Like

All the jumps

3 Likes

The skid-steer with the scraper blade, supporting the car from underneath, is from the Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA), while the big crane truck is borrowed from from the Urban Search and Rescue California Task Force 2 (CA-TF2), sponsored by Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD).

CA-TF2 digs people out of quake-collapsed buildings and other disasters for a living, and practices by responding to disasters all around the world.

So, yeah, they have some BIG equipment. (-:

Which is not to say that LAFD - the Los Angeles (City) Fire Department - doesn’t have some pretty impressively large pieces of equipment of their own - this just isn’t one of them.

This, fr’ex, is LAFD’s Heavy Rescue 103:

3 Likes

Yeah, but it was done by Illinois Nazis, and everybody hates Illinois Nazis.

7 Likes