Carl Nassib the first out player in NFL

Originally published at: Carl Nassib the first out player in NFL | Boing Boing

9 Likes

e159f454b9411d0e92b6395b52258606

17 Likes

Good for him. In the NFL that takes guts.
Tens of thousands of players have played in the NFL; that none have ever felt comfortable coming out shows how homophobic the culture is. Hopefully this becomes a story about the culture starting to change (and not that this time next year no one will hire him)

18 Likes

How could that even happen?

But if, on the other hand, some player were to start respectfully kneeling before games in support of black American demands for equal rights…

15 Likes

Don’t worry. “Something” will happen over the summer that’ll make him “questionable” at training camp, and then he’ll be released with a “No, really, he’s a great guy, just not the right fit for us” right before the regular season starts.

If the NBA attempted this, I’d be interested. The NFL is still an organization that serves to enrich old white men, protect serial abusers, and absolve themselves of responsibility for what happens after someone’s career of repetitive head injuries is ended.

5 Likes

Michael Sam was the first openly gay person to be drafted, but he was cut by the Rams. It could be because he was gay, but it is more likely that it was because a lot of players get cut.

6 Likes

Aww. The little bit of a smile dancing around his mouth as he said it. Must be such a joyous relief.

Legend Warren Moon had a really touching response fondly calling back on all of the closeted players over the years.

16 Likes

Is . . . is he single? I mean, I’m not, but I’m sure my husband will understand.

Seriously, though, I kind of hoped to see this happen ten or twenty years ago, but at least it finally happened. And so far, it appears that the official reaction of fellow players, at least, has not been horridly toxic.

8 Likes

The wheel turns slowly, but sometimes it’s actually noticeable.

And BB actually had something wonderful… (gonna go buy a lottery ticket now)

6 Likes

Yay! This is great news. Baseball players, of course, have been out for over a hundred years.

1 Like

I know it’s supposed to say “openly”, but the phrase “actively gay” just makes me :joy_cat:

9 Likes

Its meant to convey he’s the first active player (I assume), as opposed to Michael Sam who signed with 2 NFL teams but never made an active roster* or players that come out after retirement. Its lousy wording

*the NFL has a 90 person offseason roster but its cut to 53 for the season, and then a 48-man “active roster” for each game

3 Likes

Glenn Burke was the first openly gay MLB player AFAIK, and he came out in the late 70s.

4 Likes

That is a wonderful thing to know! I was just making a dumb joke:

unnamed

5 Likes

While his teammates didn’t seem to care, the awful front office and the more awful Tommy Lasorda seemed to have some issues. He was a extremely talented player who found himself traded.

1 Like

I just wonder how the “Raider Nation” will take this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.