Cast photos from live-action Cowboy Bebop TV show

Which are?

I admit to being partial to Anno’s Cutey Honey movie. It’s suitably wacky and cartoonish.

Imo there have only been 2 successful (by representing the look and feel of the original anime) live action anime films:

Space Battleship Yamato
Speed Racer

You mean the soundtrack to ‘Knockin on Heaven’s Door’ (aka Future Blues) done by the same composer and her band The Seatbelts? I mean, how dare they do something still that is jazz but a slightly different flavor to fit the story. Artists… Wnat do they know right?

(edit: an original jazz soundtrack that also included heavy metal, country waltz, a stolen pink Floyd track, ave maria, spagetti western themes, and a handful of other random genres that I wouldn’t consider ‘jazz’ but sure…)

3 Likes

You could do much, much worse than the movie’s OST, I reckon.

5 Likes

Alex Hassell was cast as Vicious. Essex boy, does a lot of Shakespeare.

6 Likes

Given the story arc for the original series, and assuming this is multiple seasons…

Ed shouldn’t be in this season. Or maybe even the next? I looked to remember and it is episode 3/4 before Faye joins the crew, and episode 9 of 26 before Ed appears.

Since there’s no actor stated, I am wondering if they are keeping it quiet for now so it will be the big hook for season 2.

9 Likes

I was curious to see who they’ve cast as Julia. While she’s not pictured in this set of photos it appears they’ve chosen Elena Satine for the role.

1 Like

But to the point. No Ed? She’s going to be the hardest to cast/do well.

4 Likes

I want to see Edward!

2 Likes

As much as I’d like to be snarky about this, I’d much rather see some decent live-action show come out of anime. There’s a first time for everything. I honestly wish them luck.

3 Likes

I thought Ed is generally considered to be a non-binary character?
Anyway, it’s still looking promising and given that’s it’s airing in november you’d think there’d be a trailer soon and then the wheels could potentially still come off this thing.
But as ever, gimme…

ein-running

6 Likes

IIRC their will be no Ed in season 1. They aren’t exactly doing an episode by episode remake so it will be interesting to see what stories get told this round. My guess is it will primarily be Spike’s main story.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if that’s what’s going to happen too, but I’m really, really hoping we’ll see her this season. If we do, my bet’s on the last episode, to get people hooked and wanting more. I think that would be the smart move.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Time to bring out the DVD’s. Again.

1 Like

One is Midnight Diner and the other is the movie Blue Spring/Aoi Haru. (Funnily enough a lot of people don’t realize these are adaptations, and they’re more well-known than their respective source materials.) Aoi Haru also has a ridiculously good soundtrack, featuring one of my favorite bands, that’s just as visceral and deep-cutting as the manga and the movie.

Oh, thanks! I wonder how they’re going to handle him. I always thought he was one of the most interesting aspects of the anime, and I think Jupiter Jazz I-II are some of the best episodes of anything I’ve ever seen. But perhaps the anime’s writing was a bit too subtle, considering how many people seem to have missed the points the show tried to make with him, so I hope the Netflix show’s writers got what he was supposed to be about.

Those were both manga right? Did they ever get animated before live action adaptations? (Midnight Diner is a wonderful treat. Highly recommended)

I’m sure it’s hair splitting for some but I do consider live action adaptations of manga different beasts than anime adaptations. (even if a good chunk of anime are themselves adaptations of manga)

If we are talking manga to live action Live Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow is an amazing adaptation of All You Need is Kill.

Yes - sorry, I just noticed that I wrote only “anime adaptation”, I meant “anime and manga”. In my experience manga don’t really have it much better when it comes to live action adaptations. A lot of manga get adapted as a serialized TV drama, which tend to just use the manga for its basic premise and a grab-bag of ideas, and then do its own thing according to what they think is popular with the target demographics… I mean, I’m a loud proponent of not even trying to adapt something word-for-word into a completely different medium, and I definitely mind an adaptation going its own way, in fact I prefer it in many cases, as long as the original’s messages and themes get across.

But in case of manga-to-live action TV, the adaptation writers tend to completely change characterization, ignore or even go against the original’s themes and messages, add original characters whose only role is to provide tired jokes, and so on. (In one case a character whose defining trait in the original is being fanatically loyal to the main character was turned into a villain who plots against him, because the TV writers thought that would do better with the viewers, and also because they wanted to use him as the third wheel in a love triangle that wasn’t even in the original story.)

And even if it’s not a TV adaptation, it can really be a hit or miss, depending on whether the writer/director is interested in what the source is actually about, or they just want to use the premise as a springboard for their own ideas. (See one of my favorite manga, Himitsu by Shimizu Reiko, being adapted into a movie that has basically nothing to do with the source material… which is a pity because the anime adaptation was deeply flawed as well.)

Anyway, yes, Midnight Diner is a wonderful treat! Makes me wonder why more adaptations can’t be like that.

All You Need is Kill is actually a novel! The manga was an adaptation, and the movie, as far as I’m aware, was an independent adaptation (so not based on the manga).

1 Like

Ed was conceived of as a cat-like boy, redefined a girl to balance the cast, then later described as genderless in vague terms that would likely be deemed problematic had they been offered by a Western creator (“Its gender is meaningless, we don’t need it, it is like an alien”). This nonetheless gave fans license to interpret and further specify—and to argue the specification in the usual places.

There’s no wonder Ed isn’t seen in anything yet! The moment Ed is presented, the casting will be a Big Thing with unprecedented aspects to consider, and Netflix knows to avoid that until we’re a few rounds of publicity in. Netflix Ed is going to be weird teenager with a gender and psychology filtered though the corporate anxiety nebula and doomed to overt sexualization online. So who knows, maybe they just decided to avoid it until the show is live, or a later season, or forever.

7 Likes

Yes, this is what I suspect as well. All the more so because there’s just no way they’ll be able to do Ed like the anime - gender aside, Ed is a textbook example of a character that is so over-the top and absurd that they only work in animation, I can’t imagine a way to translate it into live action and make it work. I’m sure they had to apply some very extensive changes. So I think they also avoid showing Ed in order to avoid generating bad PR for the show, because the moment fans realize that Ed is not going to be the way they are in the anime the more purist-leaning fan base is going to explode.

7 Likes

I had forgotten about the novel so I retract my statement of it being a good manga adaptation. (it was a good adaptation regardless of its source imo)

1 Like

Soooo true!