Cat saves boy from dog attack

How readily you dole out judgement of life and death.

From the video, the animal caused no lasting harm. Curious how that merits death.

How much more muscle under the skin needs to show before it becomes severe. An accidental nip that breaks skin is one thing. That is a full on bite. Not a playful one. Remind me to never play with your dog.

4 Likes

It’s an ugly wound, but it’s not a severe wound. Infection is the worst concern, and competant first aid and subsequent dressing makes that risk neglible.

This was a strong bite on a very small child. I’m actually surprised it didn’t do more damage, personally. However, the child should make a full recovery with zero complications. The dog, meanwhile, will be dead.

When people make mistakes, we teach them not to make those mistakes again. When children play football, or chase each other around the yard, and break bones or cut themselves open and need stitches, we don’t put a bullet in their heads. Goodness knows my siblings and I would be in the ground if that were so, along with a good number of our childhood friends.

When a dog makes the mistake of biting a child, we murder the animal because it would be “too much trouble” to correct the behavior. We have the dog killed purely out of convenience, for something it did out of the ignorance of non-sapience and the owner’s lack of proper care.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Though I kind of liked the scenario in my head, where the mother was running to get medical help, but the tough-as-nails kid just hops right up and follows her like “Hey, no big deal, mom!” :smile:

it may have only been a flesh wound but c’mon…10 stitches is not a minor bite

Sorry, I know you have strong feelings about euthanizing animals but this dog is dangerous. No way can it be trusted around children anymore. An unprovoked attack on a child is a big freakin’ deal.

2 Likes

I agree with much of what you say, Glitch. That didn’t seem at all like a “normal” vicious dog attack. If it was, the boy’s 4 year old skin would be shredded, not torn in yes, ugly, but actually pretty shallow wounds. And, not sure an attacking dog in the midst of a fight wouldn’t likely have ran, tail between legs, when a cat jumped on him. I wasn’t there, don’t know the dog’s history, but it seemed more like “tug play” kind of behavior that my dogs engage in, just badly misjudged in this case, by the dog in terms of the amount of force to use. In this case, the dog was an 8 month old near-puppy. That’s a dog at it’s most playful, most stupid, and with sharp, pointy teeth. Has he been around children? Played with them roughly? Is he used to aggressive play with his owner? Those are factors here.

I can’t, of course, say for sure if the dog is a danger–I’d have to know it’s history and condition to make that judgement–but these self satisfied comments along the lines of “har har if I was there that dog’d be dead 4 times over har har” seem more like what I’d expect on a youtube comment section then the discourse usually encountered here. Does the dog have a history of this kind of behavior, or was it a stupid, over eager puppy event? True, the dog bit the mother when she (very understandably) went after it, but my dog would show fear aggression too if someone went at them in what they considered was an unprovoked way.

In any case, no matter if you think the dog should, or shouldn’t be put down, the smug asshole attitude, almost seeming happy to declare how much they’d love to personally kill the dog, like it’s a contest to show how pragmatic and non-bleeding-heart you are about these things, is pretty sickening. It’s a sad situation–Heartbreaking, really. If that dog was just being stupidly playful, to think it’s going to spend 10 days terrified and alone in a cage, then be put to death. I’d at least like to think they considered other options before automatically laying down a death sentence on what might well be a non-aggressive young dog that made a stupid, non-malicious mistake.

1 Like

humans are animals. things like emotions evolved much higher up the chain, so yes many animals have emotions and are capable of malice.

whether or not that was this dogs intention is another matter though…

LOL. Yes cats are very capable of all sorts of emotions. I had a cat that would intentionally knock stuff of the windowsill until i let him out. He’d look at me with his paw hovering over the next item on the ledge and i swear i could see him thinking “soooo are you going to let me out or do i have to wreck another of your things?” :slight_smile:

That being said, I love the cat in the video, that cat just redeemed all cats everywhere and deserves the internet of the day award.

1 Like

Where are you seeing “professional editing”? They spliced a half-dozen or so cuts together without transitions. That’s about as difficult as copy-pasting a half-dozen paragraphs into a Word document. A complete novice could do it in 20 minutes with any preloaded video-editing software.

As for “who has this many surveillance cameras”: if you’ve got the money and inclination to protect your property with cameras, you’re not just gonna put one on the front porch and call it a day, you’re gonna make sure all of your property is covered.

My guess is that she first checked to make sure the kid wasn’t seriously injured (and he clearly wasn’t, since he hopped up and ran inside with no trouble), and then went to make sure the dog wasn’t coming around the car to attack again. (And then came right back to the kid, off-camera.)

Most people don’t react to emergencies by calmly calculating the optimal course of action. It’s easy to play armchair quarterback when you’re watching the video on YouTube, but when all you know is that your kid is screaming and there are cats and dogs running around, adrenaline beats rational thought.

3 Likes

Yeah, just like when a child breaks their sibling’s leg unprovoked. Clearly they cannot be trusted around other children anymore. Better euthanize them.

The dog is not dangerous, anymore than a human child who accidentally harms another human chld is. It did not commit an unprovoked “attack”, because this wasn’t an “attack”. The dog displayed zero aggression signs. It was not intending harm. It didn’t have a psychotic episode, it didn’t just snap and go for blood, it is not some slaverying monster, it’s an animal that exhibited bad behavior that is clearly symptomatic of a lack of owner responsibility vis a vis training and proper restraint.

This was an accident, and one that can be prevented from happening again in the future with a little bit of effort rather than a lethal injection.

The real problem here is how much people value different lives. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that dogs’ lives aren’t worth as much as human lives. But they’re certainly worth the effort of training the animal instead of killing it for the sake of convenience.

2 Likes

Not sure how much credence I’d give “shelter” workers so eager to put a dog down, but…

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/local/x1372326396/Calls-come-in-to-adopt-dog-that-attacked-boy-shelter-says-no

Calls come in to adopt dog that attacked boy; shelter says no

After video of heroic Tara the cat went viral – showing her ninja-body-slamming a dog that’s biting 4-year-old Jeremy Triantafilo – most people agreed the dog should be put down.

But not everyone. Websites are popping up urging the dog be saved. The 8-month-old male Labrador-Chow mix that bit the boy Tuesday is under quarantine for 10 days and then will be put down.

Calls have flooded the phones at the Bakersfield Animal Care Center, director Julie Johnson said Friday on “First Look with Scott Cox.”

Johnson has been taking calls from rescue operation centers that claim they can change the behavior of the dog. But the dog is not being turned over to anyone.

“I get concerned that we are fielding so many calls for this one dog,” Johnson said. “I have 200 other dogs that need a home, who haven’t bit anyone and make great family pets.”

Californian columnist Lois Henry echoed Johnson’s sentiments and said putting the dog down is the appropriate thing to do.

“I admire their animal compassion, but this dog attacked a child,” Henry said. “It’s a vicious animal.”

And the dog’s attitude has not changed since he’s been under quarantine.

According to Johnson, the dog is actively trying to fight and bite workers who are adding food and water in his kennel.

“We need to put our energy into saving other animals who are euthanized because there’s not enough room in the shelter, not on a dog who has attacked a child,” Johnson said.

And speaking of adoption, you can adopt Jack the cat, who visited “First Look” as Friday’s Pet of the Week and bares a significant similarity to Tara.

1 Like

So I guess this dog just wanted a tickle fight when he accidentally ripped open the boy’s leg? This dog absolutely attacked a child - there is no other word to describe it. Not only did it deliberately attack with intent to harm, but it stalked him from the house next door and attacked the boy from behind from around the vehicle in the driveway. But according to you and other expert dog psychologists, that’s not aggressive behavior.

I realize you are convinced it’s just a poor misunderstood scamp that needs a hug and all will be rainbows and kibble again. Sorry, but this is a one-strike-and-you’re-out offense - the risk of subsequent attacks is too great and for the benefit of the community, it needs to be put down.  There is no probation system for miscreant dogs.

Dogs are not people and they do not have the same rights as people. They are animals and unless your name is Dr Doolittle, you don’t know for sure that it won’t attack again.

I love animals but every one of my neighbors has dogs - I’ve been charged at walking down the street or chased riding my bike more times than I care to count.  They create a huge racket every time I’m outside minding my business in my own backyard. I find dog shit in my yard all the time and I’ve had to call animal control several times over the years for dogs running loose. And I’m sure every one of their owners would say “Oh Mr Fluffy would NEVER hurt anyone!”

You’re right on one thing, I don’t blame the dogs themselves but their asshole owners who don’t make an effort to tame, train, and constrain their animals. Still, if any of these dogs ripped open my son’s leg like that, I would personally make sure it was put down.

2 Likes

I understand the points you are making, but in your enthusiasm you are conflating dogs and children, which really detracts form your overall argument. There is a huge difference between dogs and human children. You wouldn’t chain up a child, or crate them at night, or feed them only kibble, or pretty much anything that is standard dog treatment. In most animals, human included, protecting the young is a primal instinct, any dog that attacks a child triggers this natural and healthy defensive instinct to make sure that never happens again, ever. Typically with dogs this means being put down because there are very few shelters that will take and try and work with such animals, and even if they do there is no guarantee that the behavior won’t reoccur. The entire reason dogs are sweet and don’t tear us apart like wolves, is because we have been doing this exact same thing since we very first started domesticating them, breeding the very best ones and killing the worst ones. That is how domestication works. While I appreciate and value life in all its forms, I also see the very clear reality of animals as food and ensuring human safety comes first. Those are my personal thoughts at least, take em or leave em! :slight_smile: Cheers.

Also…this dog is kinda the worst case scenario.

2 Likes

Sadly but unavoidably, many of the best companion animals, presumably including Tara, have been sterilized. We’re breaking the feedback loop. She deserves to have many kittens, all of whom would get avidly adopted. Maybe cloning technology will someday allow us to breed the animals that are the stars. (and I don’t mean to endlessly clone them, just put them back in the gene pool).

My 2 current cats I could care less, one’s a prick and the other a dimwit, but I once had a cat that was so mellow that I could sit on a city stoop with him and he would just chill, greet people like he was the mayor of the block, and walk up to sniff noses with big dogs. I would give a lot for a kitten of his and Tara.

3 Likes

Amazing brave cat, it was fantastic. I do agree that owners should take care of their pets a little bit more. It is better not to have a dog than having one isolated and untrained. We, as people, must be resposible for giving our pets love, care and to train them. We must be aware that pets are animals, capable of instinct and wild reactions. The more we take care of them, the less probability they will harm anyone. Putting down the dog is not the right answer. That dog won’t hurt anymore if that happens, but there are out there a lot of irresponsible owners, that should be aware that with a pet comes responsabilities.

Okay “vicious” may be a poor choice of word, it anthropomorphzes the behavior of the dog. Those “signs of aggression,” that you’re talking about…Those are intended to make the other creature back down… Dogs do that when they’re defending themselves or their territory. They usually DON’T do those when they attacking prey. The dog clearly never regarded the child as a threat worthy of a dominance display. I’m not sure why we should regard a dog that was happy and joyful as he was attacking a child as somehow less of a threat than one that was scared. Your “harmless roughhousing” of a creature that doesn’t know it’s strength seems very similar to the “hunting instinct” of a creature that has never had to eat what it kills. Grab it and shake it until it dies is something that comes naturally to dogs.

I don’t know why we should regard the dog as somehow…less culpable because it was happy when it attacked. He was “happy” because at some level he was doing a behavior that simulated “chasing prey,” just like going after a frisbee does. That dog is hazard.

1 Like

Shut-Up…I Kill You!!!

[quote=“Glitch, post:62, topic:31347”]How readily you dole out judgement of life and death.

From the video, the animal caused no lasting harm. Curious how that merits death.[/quote]

Yep, it’s part of taking responsibility for a child. If a predator tries to kill the child, you kill the predator. Easy-peasey; I wouldn’t trust the sanity of any parent who would choose differently.

It kind of astounds me that anyone would think maiming a child “caused no lasting harm”. I guess you didn’t bother to look at the damage that dog did? No, wait - you’re really a dog, aren’t you? And they say nobody knows you are a dog on the Internet. Ha! You’ve been revealed, Glitch!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.