Cat sliding: sounds awful, cats love it (at least this one)

Yeah, I’m pretty sure my cat won’t let me grab hold of him without his claws being involved. That’s not going to stop me trying this when I get home though.

1 Like

No! Stop being so snobbish about this.

Only YOU (not your phone) can prevent VVS.

1 Like

I can usually achieve that with a laser pointer. If you can get the circle going at just the right speed she’ll keep chasing it in the same direction. Tighten the circle enough and she’s just spinning in place.

Way before ubiquitous cameras, I was at a friends place and they had kittens. One of them loved the same thing as in the video. The room was much larger though.

Best thing was the kitten abruptly fell asleep during the running back to me, woke up again some minutes later only to find me still sitting on the floor, so on we went with the sliding game. I’ll never forget the laughter me and my friends had.

1 Like

A regular fabric-covered office chair works for that, but the kitty can hold on better. Mine would hop up, roll over, and yowl until I gave her a spin. Then one day she got sick (possibly due to a bit of underdone chickadee), barfed all over the place, and never let me spin her again. Still brought birds home, though.

1 Like

Just wait until the Instagram Phone comes out, following the triumphant success of both Facebook and Amazon phones. That puppy will solve video orientation problems so hard.

2 Likes

One of my cats trained my roommate to spin her in the office chair by meowing at him incessantly until he spun her one direction, then the other, then back again, etc. She would demand this multiple times a day, and enjoyed it for several minutes at a time.

1 Like

It’s not “snobbish” to want people to stop using smartphones stupidly. In fact, some phones actually warn you about this, when you try to shoot video in the wrong orientation.

To quote WIRED:

Videos, unlike photos, are almost universally presented horizontally. There’s a reason for this: It’s how we’re built to view the world. Our vision allows us to see more to the left and right than top and bottom. So when you shoot a video on your smartphone in portrait mode, you’re violating not only the set video standard, but also the laws of nature as they pertain to human sight.

That’s Not How You Use That: Shooting Video in Portrait Mode

2 Likes

Good god, photography is going to need to be reinvented now, somebody call ansel adams!

Look, naturalism is a poor excuse if I ever heard one. It IS snobbish. It is a bit awkward to see black bars at the sides, but that can be fixed by a player that adapts itself vertically.

The limit is arbitrary, and most of these videos are framed so as to be seen in youtube, not in cinemascope. A player that makes it vertical in your screen is all the solutions to your woes.

“Adapts itself vertically”??? You do realize that would either make the video 90° out of proper viewing orientation (meaning you have to turn your head sideways to see it correctly), or the image is zoomed and cropped, which both degrades the image quality, and lops off a considerable amount of the recorded image.

And as for “arbitrary limit”, I suggest you actually read the article I linked to, and you will see why it’s anything but arbitrary, and why everyone has wide TVs in their homes, and not tall ones.

To sum up,

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.